Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re: Pizza temp.

Options
swinetime
swinetime Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the maximum temperature that you can get get with a platesetter on? I would like to cook a pizza at something higher than 500 degrees.

Swine before Pearls.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    swinetime,

What size egg? You can get as hot as you want if you want to. Once the platesetter gets hot it doesn't have an effect on temperature within limits.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Swinetime....I would not recommend going over 500* for a pizza. Make sure your pizza stone is preheated WELL, and 500* is the tops I would go. Any higher, you are likely to have a black crust, and raw toppings. :blink: We cook ours between 450-500*. (preheating the pizza stone is critical though! We usually put ours on as soon as we start ramping up the temp). Just my two cents! Good luck! :)
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    If you are trying to simulate Pizza Neapolitana there are several here that have been successful. I recommend searching Neapolitan or Neapolitana.
    The key is dough made for high temp cooking has a lot of water in the formula to keep it from blackening.
    You can reach 700 degrees with a platesetter. Be aware that your gasket will have a hard time with this. You will likely use more charcoal then you dreamed. Good news is the Egg will be really, really clean :blink:
    TTFN WLL
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    The pizzerias with the "good - real" pizza ovens typically cook them at 550F. So, that's my plan.

Now, I've haven't done a zaza on my egg - YET. I'm picking up my peel today, so probably next weekend.
  • swinetime
    swinetime Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for replies everybody.

I have a Medium Egg and a pizza stone and I make a pizza dough that calls for 1 3/4 cups of water per 4 Cups of Pizza/Bread flour. I assume that is a high percentage of water to flour but I will do a search on Neapolitan pizza and see if this assumption is correct.

I thought high heat would be essential to getting that crusty exterior with airy doughy interior that I used to get from the local Pizza place before they got driven of business from the cheapo chains.

The first time I tried making pizza I was at 500 plus temp. and I seriously burned the bottom. Second time I used parchment paper to transport the dough and act as a protective barrier but the bread came out undercooked and I lost heat with each successive pizza. Of course I'm worried about going higher than 500 because the parchment paper says that 500 is the max. heat resistant temp.

Next time maybe I'll try more fuel, higher temp. on the first one and 500 longer cook on the second. I'll let you all know outcome. Thanks for all the suggestions.