Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Options
TurboDog
TurboDog Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seeing that "Mini-Burgers" are the new rage at restaurants and parties I was thinking of doing "Mini Pulled Pork Sandwiches" for a party of 30. Has anyone tried this? If I premake the sandwiches how do I keep them warm without drying them out? Any other ideas?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Yup,

Depending on the type of sandwiches you want you can add liquid, coke in this case, 20 oz per 4 pounds. I also added some brown sugar to enhance the taste. I cooked down the mix do it was a little less moist. I left enough moisture in the mix to soak a little into the buns (small hard rolls) and potato rolls.

This was a great cook.

barbacoa2.jpg

GG
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Holding the meat in a sauce like the Grandpa’s Grub post and assembling as you serve may be the best route, but pre- assembly works too, if that is where you are wanting to go.
    To pre-assemble the sandwich is a bit trickier, but only to the point of how to wrap and keep warm.
    There is a foil type of wrap available (a very light weight foil / paper thing) that is available from a restaurant or food service supply that works very well. For the most part this wrap doesn’t even need any warming if served in very short order.
    Basically it’s….Build the sandwich, wrap and keep warm. I used an electric roaster with wrapped porketta sandwiches and kept it pretty warm. Once it was served the “guest” can un-wrap and add any condiments they choose.
    The only thing about “keeping warm” to keep in mind is the time frame. A person wouldn’t want to say, assemble in the morning, keep warm until noon or evening and then serve. This scenario can make for a good round of food poisoning!
  • McEggin
    McEggin Posts: 20
    Options
    TheDirtyBurger wrote:
    White Castle beat you to it!

http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/home.asp

White Castle burgers are nasty little things, but for some reason, nothing tastes better after hard night of drinking.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    just a thought but with 30 people you're not going to have everyone commence eating simultaneously. Getting them through the line to grab their mini-sandwich should be ample time to fix them right then and there. Maybe two of you fixing them in a mock race or working as a team. That way they stay hot and fresh and no worry about drying out.
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    Turbo,

Aren't you from NOLA? Or the Northshore? Anyway, We just had a crawfish boil with 85 people and served pulled pork sliders with the crawfish. If you are from the Louisiana area, you can call Rouses and order Cotton's Holsum biscuits. They come in a 24 pack and you can order them sliced or not. Walmart in Covington sell them too in the bread section but they are not sliced. We just heat the buns up a little, put them in a basket and have the pulled pork in a chaffing dish, the cole slaw on ice, pickles, horseradish, BBQ sauce and mayo. The line moves pretty quick b/c it only takes a second to make them.

In November we were in a BBQ cookoff and you had to give away 200 samples of something. So we did "Pull Pork Sliders". Huge hit but we did the putting together in an assembly line fashion.

Good luck,

Steve
  • TurboDog
    TurboDog Posts: 2
    Options
    Nope, I'm from the Northwest Indiana / Chicago area. I love NOLA and I love Turbodog beer. Thanks for all the suggestions. This party is a little more formal than usual, indoors and at night so I just wanted something that the guests could pick up and eat without having to work at it. Also, I'll have a million other things goin on at the time so I don't want to be bothered making sandwiches.

Thanks again.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Re-think the menue!!! :)