Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Newbie Question

Options
bw2
bw2 Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my brisket on. Had some problems getting it in quickly so the temperature settled in around 350. Any suggestions on how to get the temp down to 250 range. I have the daisy closed and the draft door just slightly open. Thanks.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    Options
    other experts would chime in, but I would open the daisies slightly for fear of snuffing out the fire.
    canuckland
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    You'll be ok as long as you watch it closely. The temp will hold up there for a while. If you keep it closed until it comes all the way down, it may put the fire out all the way. It should come down with a big piece of cold meat in it. Main thing is don't make big changes with the temps and it will settle down before long, you are not too far out of range.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    If you open the daisy about half and the bottom vent about 1/8-1/4 inch it will get you in the ball park of where you need to be around 250. Like Firetruck said watch it and it will take a while for the temp to fall. Good luck
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    This is my 2 cents.
    First.. You want to get it to a lower temp (which you seem to know) 350 is way to high, I would close down the top to about 1/4 ope on the daisy wheel, and about 1/8th to 1/4 inch on the bottom. That should lower the temp down to about 250.
    Second you will need to keep on eye on it. If it goes too long at that temp you will cook it too quickly (trust me I have ruined a few biskets this way) Biskets are less forgiving than the pork butts. If it takes more than maybe 30-45 min to cool off, I would pull hte brisket off until you get the temp you want.
    The best thing is to catch the temp on the way up. It is much easier to get the temps higher than lower. Hopefully this helps. ;)B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Panhandle Smoker,

Daisy 1/2 open... are you saying slider closed and petals 1/2 open?

On my large I would have the slider (larger disc on the DFMT) closed and petals 1/4 to 1/2 open. Bottom vent as you described above.

But, that's me...

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Getting the food in an egg quickly is seldom good wisdom.

It is important to get the egg stabilized, first then get the food on - especially on overnight cooks.

A lot of eggers get the egg hot (like you) then try to bring the temperature down only to find out in the morning the lump has gone out and the next post is "HELP, IS MY (whatever one is cooking) RUINED!!!)

Unfortunately, you are going to be up for a while getting the egg where it needs to be. The initial 350° with food on isn't all that much of a problem. Taking the egg from 350° to 250° without the lump going out can be a problem.

Don't play with the vents all the time (chase temperature). Use Panhandle Smokers vent settings - bottom vent 1/8" to 1/4" open (I would go with an opening between those two measurements). Look closely at the bottom vent. The holes in the screen need to be showing 1/8" to 1/4". That small opening will be enough to keep the lump burning at the temperature you need.

Close the slider on the DFMT open the petals about 1/4 of the way open. If you bottom vent is at 1/4" and you open the petals 1/2 to full open your egg can hold close to 350°.

Watch the dome temperature it should settle down to 250°. When you think you are OK, give the egg another 1/2 hour and see if the temperature is holding. Since you are new, this is a brisket and an overnight cook... when you think you are ok with temperature look into the bottom vent and make sure you can see a glow in the lump. If you can't then open the dome slightly and see if you can see a glow. If you open the dome don't leave it open very long 30 to 45 seconds and open as little as possible. The air going into the egg will have a tendency to feed the lump and again hotter temperatures - don't change the vents if you open the dome.

If you can't see any sign of a glowing lump and you have to get some sleep set your alarm for 45 minutes and go and check the temperature again. Once you can see that your egg is stable for a few hours get some more sleep, but on this cook I check the temperature at least every couple of hours.

I am only recommending you check the temperature so often is because you have the egg hot and you are trying to get the egg temperature down lower without putting the lump out.

GG
  • I always get the temperature up higher than I will need for cooking because when you put a huge volume of cold meat in there, the temperature will drop considerably. I know where my temperature settings should be for a given temperature, so I can change them as I close the lid after putting the meat on. I also cook my briskets a little hotter than most people here. :laugh:

Read the post by grampas grub, then read it again. That's solid advise for most cooks.
  • Oh, by the way, report back on your results whether they are bad or good.

Soon you will get the hang of things, and you will be the one giving out good advise.
  • bw2
    bw2 Posts: 8
    Options
    Update. Was able to get temperature down. The temp was quite low this am, but stable at 250 now. I will update later.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Nice to hear you got it under control :) I can't wait to hear how it turns out ;)B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Glad to hear. Hope it is the egg is stable at 250°.

Sounds like there are going to be some good eats at the bw2 house today.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Any time something cold is put in the egg, food, plate setter, smoking wood - chunks or chips or even open the dome the dome temperature will drop.

Having a higher temperature to compensate is just a guess at best. As long as the initial higher temperature is not for searing purposes, that initial higher temperature is going to do nothing towards the end cook other than some temperature chasing.

Nevertheless, if that process works for you, that's great.

My thinking and experience is, most will find it easier to get the egg stable, put the food on the egg and let the egg do it's magic.

GG