Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

asparagas

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,885
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
should be able to pick some this weekend at camp. have some proscuito for some wraps, any other good recipes.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    We do garlic olive oil and BGE house season on the round side of our cast iron grate after the steaks are off. Grill till they are just limp... mmmmmmmmmm so GOOD
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i have two or three dinky spears that came up. last year was the first year. i hope more come up... gonna let them go again this year. dunno if the soil is good enough. plus, the frikkin cats have been digging in there. we have a non-discharge shotgun ordinance in town, or that problem would have been solved.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Stike,

BB Guns work real well and are stealth....I try to aim for the cats behind...the cats do not come in my yard anymore.. :whistle:

Fishless,

I put my asparugus in AF with butter & shakin the tree and cook for 30 minutes...delicious
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this is the third year on my plants, last year was like yours, last weekend they were coming up about the diameter of a nickel. we will see how many more this weekend, might take another year for quantity and cats are a problem in my asparagus bed too. they must like asparagus, dog will be ridding me that problem this weekend
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Oh Kim, I can't believe you could do that. :(
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Funny thing is I don't know of any towns/cities/villages that prohibit the release of an Arrow...

Are these feral cats?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I know...why would anyone shoot a poor kitty in the rump?

Much better places to shoot them :evil:

(OK, now everyone just relax - this is a joke. No cats were harmed during the production of this lame attempt at humor)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAH
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Last weekend I was at the beach, sans egg, I was forced to 'manage' with a big gasser. I was cooking for 6 people, so I put 2 bunches of asparagus in double layers of HD aluminum foil, several pats of butter, some chopped garlic and drizzled some basalmic salad dressing on them (baslamic vinegar would have been better). I put the foil pouch on the back of the grill burners and turned occasionally while I cooked fresh red snapper. Turned out wonderful!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    sounds good, maybe even add a lemon slice.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    maybe some rafts
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    i got real thin spears out of every "root" thing (rhizome?) that i planted last year. they grew about three feet high, wispy asparagus ferns. i thought this year i'd have just as many. some night have died. maybe not deep enough, and the soil isn't sandy.

but i'm seeing three that are coming up spread apart a bit, so i know a few took. you are saying they will be wimpy until they really take, then? good. was worried they were going to be less than the first year.

this will be year 2.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I try to shoot them in the butt, but as you can see by my food pics my hands are a little shaky

:woohoo: :lol: :woohoo: :silly:

just kidding Anne.....here kitty, kitty :evil:
  • stike
    Options
    i don't have good eyesight. i was aiming at a cat with a BB gun once. my buddy said, what are you waiting for, go ahead and shoot it. well i told him i didn't think it was right, that cat walkin towards us only had one eye to begin with and i didn't want to hit the other one. he told me "that can't ain't comin towards us, he's walkin away"
  • stike
    Options
    you can get rid of the cats by whizzing in yer garden, but then you might not wanna eat the 'sparagus
  • vidalia1
    Options
    LMAO

:ohmy: :P B) :silly: :lol:
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    serve as an appertizer with a fried egg and reggino parmesan.

It is awesome also makes for a great breakfast
  • stike
    Options
    kind of ironic, too.

whiz making the asparagus seem funky. usually it's the other way 'round
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    we just brush with EVOO and Julie's Chipoltle salt grill for about 3minutes a side
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    stike,

Better than cat whiz no?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Your too nice of a guy Rod to even think of doing anything of the sort.
    When's your next fest? I need a class on pizza dough. Seriously, I do. I am so frustrated with it, I thrown dozens of batches of dough in the garbage. I just can't work with it. You're amazing with it. You have to do a class at an eggfest. I've tried to get AZRP to do one and he won't. Let me know.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    first year very wimpy, second year still thin but they grew to 6 feet, had to stake them with some wire fencing. this last week they were looking to be the right size. mine are growing on a sandbar that i mixed soil into, very sandy, going to add another couple inches of loom this weekend because they arent too deep. i think i planted them at 3 inches and the directions said to add an inch each year until they were down about 5
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    excellent. thanks.

might just buy asparagus from you instead.
    hahaha
  • stike
    Options
    they are my kids' cats.....

can't really do anything other than hiss at them when no one's around to see me do it.
    hahaha

i have some sticks laying in the garden. and leaf mulch. they don't go in there now to do their business. but i was afraid they'd dug them up