Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shhh-mok’n a doober

Options
2»

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    thanks Hoss, never did think of it that way, but on the other hand, it could be disqualified from all three :ohmy:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Brian, I have no idea, it just sounded like a colorful name to give a fun object :whistle:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Jeff, it is funny you should mention the shroom. I have had a bag of dried porcinis courtesy Steven for about 2 months, & I have had an idea since the day I recieved them, but have lacked the gumption to get it off the ground. I think tomorrow I will put it together.
    happy in the hut
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :evil: I like the way you think! :evil:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Please don't use Kool-Aid!!! :woohoo: :evil: :whistle: :huh:
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    I'm definitely in the trench-next trial starts 5/4. I'll get you my email. Keep rollin' and postin', Scott
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    oh yeah. mushrooms, too. i was talking the psycho psilcybin magic kind.

real shrooms are good too.

i make a decent wild mushroom lasagna. simple bechamel sauce, with a few pounds of mushrooms (both reconstituted wild and fresh) making up the filling. damn good on the egg, with a tinge of smoke
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    or he could make hash brownies. at college, everyone raved about them. but for me, the corned beef and chocolate sounded like a horrible combination
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Marc, you never cease to amaze me! That looks awesome! Did the shrimp go well with the chicken and the steak? Brother, you got it goin' on!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Now that would go good that a doobie

Ross
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Uhm huh, it looks delicious while somehow still not all that fattening - a true winner!!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    With a doobie? or after?

Both B)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    This is what happens when children that did drugs, grow up. :whistle: :woohoo: :P Very creative Marc! One question, did your wife eat one?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Todd, the shrimp was the best part, like a little shrimp/garlic explosion in the middle of this thing. I will tweak it next time, may go with thigh meat instead of breast, little juicier, & I will switch out the Chipotle for the Robust, the Chipotle has a little too much heat for the shrimp (which I already heated with crushed red pepper to begin with...). I think I will go back to another batch of stuffed moinkburgers & try the chipotle on that, great stuff man, that was my first taste of it last night, keep pumpin it out
    happy in the hut
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    please post recipe or lead me to it :woohoo:
    sounds too good to resist ;)
  • stike
    Options
    my old post with pics has been deleted.

here's the recipe i used.

Mushroom Lasagna
    -from Ina Garten ("The Barefoot Contessa")

Kosher salt
    Good olive oil
    3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles
    4 cups whole milk
    12 tablespoons (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 pounds wild mushrooms
    1 cup freshly ground Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. (stike: i o 400 or so))

Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt and a splash of oil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside. (stike: i toss with olive oil or butter to keep them from sticking. also, they can cool down a bit and firm up, all folded on each other. i boil them while the 'shrooms are cooking instead of at the beginning)

For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Set aside. Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick. Set aside off the heat.

Separate the mushroom stems from the caps and discard the stems (stike: I used them, minced). Slice the caps 1/4-inch thick (stike: I also cube or dice these instead.) Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan. When the butter melts, add half the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and they release some of their juices. If they become too dry, add a little more oil. Toss occasionally to make sure the mushrooms cook evenly. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set all the mushrooms aside.

To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the sauce in the bottom of an 8 by 12 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, then 1/3 of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Repeat 2 more times, layering noodles, sauce, mushrooms, and Parmesan. Top with a final layer of noodles and sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned the sauce is bubbly and hot. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve hot.

(stike: in doing this recipe since, I have increased the mushrooms to two pounds or so. A mix of wild and store bought fresh; porcini, shitake, etc. but not the white button mushrooms. I've also increased the bechamel sauce a bit. In the fall, we serve it with roasted pumpkin or squash soup)