Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats bests for steaks? Small or Medium?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking of getting a small or medium egg for steaks since I have a large for my long cooks.I guess it comes down to is one hotter than the other on the grilling surface?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    trexsteaks.jpg
    <p />Q-BALL,[p]Good question. I just got a Small about a month ago, and I've done steaks on it twice. Before then, I did all my steaks on my Medium which I've had for over two years. Now, this may have everything to do with the cut of meat I was lucky enough to get that day, but I must say that the best steaks I've ever done were the last two I cooked on the Small. [p]Regarding temperature: well, the grill level is closer to the coals in the Small, but if you wanted to move your grill closer to the coals in the Medium you could just remove the firering. Now, I will say that I've gotten my Medium up around 1200 degrees before, but I've only got the Small to about 800. If you ask me, though, 800 is enough.[p]To summarize an otherwise longwinded response, I would go with the Small. Why? Well, for starters, it's less expensive. I think that you could do steaks equally as well in either cooker, but with the Small you will use less lump, and the Small is semi-portable, whereas the Medium becomes much more of a chore to transport. But also think about how many steaks you'll be cooking at one time--the picture shown here is two 2" thick NY strips on the Small. [p]Several on this forum have said that the Large-Small combination is the perfect way to go if you have the choice. You'll be happy with your steaks either way, though.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    TRex,Thanks I think I'll get the small.Seems to me that the physics of the small and its dimensions make it a better scortcher.If there is 6-8 people we can cook-eat&drink in several stages instead of cooking everything in one batch. Makes for a longer evening.