Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duel on the Deck Photos

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a beautiful day in downtown Atlanta. 75* and barely a cloud in the sky most of the afternoon. Some great cooks and a great time spent with great people.

Here is the scene as I arrived. There were 4 other teams set up on the other side of the deck too.

DOTDTheScene.jpg

Here is a shot of BubbaTim and Little Chef hard at work searing and basting some racks of lamb. The glaze was a guava paste with shallot, garlic, cider vinegar, Texas Pete, and a bunch of other stuff I'll never remember (but it was very good)

DOTDTimAtWork.jpg

DOTDTheBasting.jpg

And the final lamb before carving

DOTDTheLamb.jpg

Little Chef had to swallow a little pride and borrow from the competition, photographically preserved for Phils Grill

DOTDTheBorrow.jpg

Here is the final plate with the lamb, some awesome grilled veggies dressed with fresh herbs, and grilled corn with a chipotle cilantro infused butter and topped with pecorino cheese.

DOTDThePlate.jpg

And the team ready to present to the judges

DOTDTheTeam.jpg

And the judging panel as Little Chef presents their creation

DOTDTheJudging.jpg

Thank you to Little Chef and BubbaTim for representing the forum at this challenge and for allowing me to meddle, be in the way, confuse them, and eat the leftovers (and for the beers)! I had a great day.

Comments

• egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Looks like a good time. I've looked on the forum and couldnt find it, but what were the results of the duel and what was the winning entree?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It was an interesting deal. The first round was 10 teams using any menu they wanted, but had to incorporate Texas Pete sauce in the dishes. At least one protein and one side.

Two teams advanced to the second round where they had a choice of bone-in ribeye, whole live lobster, and U6 shrimp for the protein and a large pantry of vegetables to use for sides. Both final teams used all 3 proteins.

Honestly, I don't know the names of the winners, but it was not forum regulars.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Too bad the winner wasnt one of ours, but I know they represented well.
    Thanks for the update.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Fidel,
    Thanks so much for a great post, and a great day! :laugh: Seeing you, and meeting Sparky and Phil were the highlight of our trip! Thanks for being there, showing your support, and being great company. We had a great time! :woohoo: :laugh: Hope you are enjoying all your plunder! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • coleslaw
    coleslaw Posts: 7
    Options
    Fortunatly, my partner and I were the winners of the Duel on the Deck in Atlanta. We were Str8 (Team 8). We had some great comptition and had a great time. We were scared Sh*tless of the veteran egg'ers.

I hate to admit this but we didn't practice once. We spent a lot of time reading the forums, watching YouTube videos and asking a lot of questions to Egg owners.

We figured if we dont have an Egg, why practice on a lesser grill? We went for broke and decided on a complex menu. Probobly not too smart for first-timer's in a formal egg competition...

We focused on using Texas Pete in our main course and two sides. We also wanted to use the egg in as many ways as possible. We poached, braised, grilled, and smoked items for the first round. In the second Iron Chef-style round we absolutly winged it and, in my opinion, porduced a better meal than the first.

Here is what we served:
    First round menu:
    Grilled flank with a Texas Pete Chimi-Churi sauce
    Braised white beans with Texas Pete Vinegar served over smoked Polenta cakes
    Grilled vegetable quesadillas with smoked avocados and a garlic Texas Pete Aioli

Iron Chef Round
    MaePloy-marinated Jumbo Shrimp over a mango salsa on a bed of Grilled Plums
    Red curry and coconut milk poached Lobster over a daicon slaw
    Soy-molasses marinated hanger steak over grilled Japanese eggplant with a soy reduction

It was a great day and am very pleased to to now be an owner of a BGE. I am excited to learn more and share my trials on the egg.

I am waiting on pictures of our entrees and will post when i get them. I have to admit, the menu described above may not accuratly represent the final plate. (too many beers, bloody mary's, and pressure of the competition may have clouded my memory...)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Glad I did not get into the competition...I would of cooked burgers....LOL...great job everyone. and welcome the new eggers