Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham vs Pork Shoulder

Mike in MN
Mike in MN Posts: 546
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read a little article from some link I picked up here on the forum, and the gentleman said he preferred using/cooking/smoking Hams instead of Pork Shoulders for his restaurant. He sliced it instead of pulling. So I am in the process of trying a lo and slo on an 8# Ham. It was a nice looking chunk of meat, so I thought I'd try it.[p]Any suggestions or experience with these? I was thinking I would try slicing it instead of pulling...I guess it depends how it turns out.[p]I put it on about midnight, so we are about 11 hours into the cook. I'm at an internal of 166, it has been at about 225 the whole cook.[p]Mike in MN

Comments

• Stick with the shoulders.[p]
    The Ham was a little leaner in parts of it, and it had a tendency to dry out in those portions. The parts that were fatty, turned out really nice. I did end up with a nice bowl of pulled meat. The stuff that I sliced was too dry to brag about. Better than what you could buy at the Deli, but not up to what we would expect.[p]So, I'll stick with the shoulders.[p]Mike in MN