Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fowl Chicken

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Maybe it's me. I dunno. Chicken on the egg has a totally different flavor than chicken prepared any other way. It seems more....gamey. Sometimes this bothers me a little. I've tried it direct, with sauce, impaled on a beer can, hoisted on a rack. It is just different. Is it because it just retains so much more natural juice? I am a white meat eater and am used to the breast being a much drier part of the chicken and it is almost as moist as the dark meat. I have no problem with the moistness or tenderness! Just a little more wild flavor than I'm used to. Is this my imagination?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MollyShark,
    I believe the lump charcoal, and smoke creates that flavor you describe. Cooking with wood gives birds a unique and complex flavor...but I don't find it gamey at all. Definitely quite different than the oven. I usually don't add wood chips or chunks with birds, as the lump provides plenty of flavor.[p]Try different types of lump, and keep in mind that the higher your cooking temps, the less the smoke will affect the flavor.[p]Just some thoughts
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    MollyShark,[p] You could always try too brine or inject the bird. This
    will help with taste problems. What do you do to prepare
    the bird for the egg?[p] Earl

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MustardChicken03_12_00.jpg
    <p />MollyShark, I kind of gave up on whole chickens - both my wife a I prefer the white meat. [p]For chicken on the BGE, we kind of like the mustard marinated chicken. Most of the time the chicken is only marinated for about 10-12 hours - always turns out great.[p]For fried chicken on the BGE, use the recipe for "ChefRD's Hot Wings" - instead of wings, use chicken breasts.[p]

[ul][li]Chicken on the BGE![/ul]
  • Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    MollyShark,
    I've done a number of chickens, most indirect. I've never found the flavor "gamey" I have found that the meat is very moist. I have been concerned that the meat around the thiegh and leg bone almost looked not cooked enough. Pink to red. While the breast meat was done to perfection. I used a little pecan or alder for light smoke.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Gfw,[p] Chicken looks great. Did you add water to the pan, or
    us that some kind of fruit juice?[p] Thanks
    Earl

• Gfw
    Earl, it's just water - 1st time I actually put anything in the drip pan, but it turned out really good - very moist and tasty.
  • mollyshark
    I think you've hit it. Maybe "gamey" isn't the right word. Just different from the smoke. Might try the higher temp. For prep I don't do much...I talk to it nicely. Generally when I'm doing chicken it is a weekday thing which means defrost it during the day and toss it on when I get home. Generally don't have much time or ambition to soak it in much. I do rub on some various spices, but I generally peel off the skin before I eat it anyway![p]Been using BGE lump. You think other brands would give different results? Maybe I need to drink more of the beer instead of putting it on the chicken!
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    MollyShark,
    The beer might give you a wole different outlook on the chicken, but I doubt if it will effect the taste! Maybe your's but definetly not the chicken.
    My wife insists on defrosting chicken via micro-wave! I can't stand it. It does affect the taste! Long slow or at least partially in water and then the fridge prevents that "weird flavor" to me! I've gotten to the point, that chicken if smoked needs to be done with a mellow smoke. Nothing over powering like hickory or mesquite if I can avoid it. I like pecan best! Apple is good and so is sassafras & grape vine. I know some of them sound weird, but it does make a difference! Try it, I'm sure you'll see a difference![p]Dr. Chicken

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    MollyShark, Last nite..had chicken..no time for brines or marinades. Here is some advice from a rookie Egger...
    the key for a whole chicken is to "butterfly" it..take the back bone out and spread that baby out!! In this fashion all parts of the chicken are exposed to the heat equally.
    Speeds up cooking and the dark and white meats finish at the same time because of this equal exposure. Before placing chicken on grill..loosen skin and rub olive oil and spices "underneath the skin"...over the breast, legs, and thigh areas. Rub olive oil all over the outer skin and let chicken cook at 400 deg. dome temp. NO gaminess...crispy, crusty ..(you gotta remember to turn this bird a few times)
    JMHO.
    Bob

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr. Chicken, arrrrrrghhhh! Microwave?? I use cold water and a long term defrost. When nearing the finish I have the brine ready, and in it or the parts go till the next day.[p]Parts and mustard as Gfw suggests is a way to go also. [p]Once the bird is brined, I "air condition" it in the fridge overnight to dry out the skin, then oil with olive oil, season, pack the cavity with oranges and apples or just apples if you like. Roast and enjoy!! Same for any game bird.
    Cheers....C~W[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    MollyShark,[p]Are you rinsing it good and patting dry with a paper towel before putting it on the egg? [p]I have found that to be the cause of the taste you are describing when I don't do the above.

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Char-Woody, Amen..to everything you said...I am a "roaster" from way back..best way to cook chicken..using higher heats.
    That fruit stuffed chicken sounds fantastic!!
    Bob

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Gfw,[p]I think your observation is a great one! The mustard thing is amaziing, in flavor, texture and color. IO still do whole chickens feome time to time, but cook at a higher temp (about 350-375*).[p]
    MollyShark, If you read this, give the mustard coating a try. I was a skeptic, but am now hooked!

• Dr. Chicken
    Char-Woody,
    I'll have to try some of them ideas. I'll get back with you via e-mail!

• mollyshark
    Now that's really interesting. I also defrost chicken in the microwave about 80% of the time. Like I said...chicken is my usual "no thought and I'm hungry and that sounds good" middle of the week deal. I rummage around in the freezer and pull out a bird of some sort. I think I'll try one "unmicrowaved" this weekend and see if that is part of it.
  • Dr. Chicken
    MollyShark,
    If you see & taste exactly like I do, I'm gona show your post to my wife! I think there is a point that somethings are best done the old fashioned way! I don't like hamburger thawed out in a micro either! Let us know what you find out and what you think![p]Dr. Chicken (this may get my tail feathers singed!)

• Gfw
    Dr. Chicken, instead of using the microwave, take it out of the freezer the night before. Next morning cover it with mustard and that evening (or the next) you will have some great chicken.[p]My wife and I divide the chores - she remembers to take it out of the freezer and I remember the mustard and have the pleasure of cooking.

• Dr. Chicken
    Gfw,
    I'm growing on the mustard smothering, but not quite to that extent! I've done steaks, chops, ribs, country style ribs and burgers with the mustard. The only true disappointment had to be the burgers, and I think that was my mistake! I haven't tried the mustard chicken yet! Next you're gona tell me mustard smothered sweet taters! I kin believe that! It might even help 'em! (The Good Lord knows they need all the help they can get!) :^)[p]Dr Chicken[p]