Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bison ribs...

Options
smokeypete
smokeypete Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my healthfood store owner neighbor has ordered a rack or two of bison ribs... he expects me to rustle 'em up on the medium egg that has landed in my yard. i have been thrilled with the first two cooks (spatchcock and smoked hens) but have never done ribs, ever. we want a great rack(s) but i am in need of instruction. i come seeking knowledge from the best source i know.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Well, for starters, Pete, you've taken on a pretty tough (no pun intended) job. In contrast to pork ribs, bison/buffalo is a pretty lean meat. I'm guessing that it will be pretty tough to get these right and keep 'em from drying out. I have been working on getting a consistent method for regular beef ribs for about 3 months now and I haven't been happy with any of the results to date. Maybe you will crank out some killer ribs on your first try and I sure hope you do. If you do, post the method pronto!! A couple hints- cook them low at 225-250°, spray them often with apple juice or your favorite mop, and when you think they are done, cook 'em for 2 more hours![p]Good Luck!
    Jim

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    smokeypete,
    If they are straight out ribs, I agree with Jslot. I've tried these several times - lo-n-slo and quickly grilled - with poor success. The best was cooking them at 350-375 until internal temp was 130. Still, they were tough. Without added fat or frequent mopping, as Jslot stated, I don't think they are worth the effort. On the other hand, it they are like beef short ribs - 5-7 in. in length with all that fat between layers of meat, then a lo-n-slo 6-7 hour cook will produce very tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone ribs that are worth every moment of work. Let us know. Good luck.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]We have a Bison Farm about 45 minutes from us and I cook a lot of bison. The T-Bones and roasts are awesome and the ground meat is amazing. Very little difference from normal ground chuck but a LOT more flavor. What I've noticed about it is that its all good quality meat, I would venture a guess of at least Choice or Prime USDA grade. Not a lot of other outlets for them so they give the good stuff to the customers, not the restaurants. Anyway, I've cooked a lot of it and I cook it the same way I do other cuts of meat being careful to not overcook it.[p]For the ribs, my typical setup for beef ribs is to do them direct at 225, in a rib rack, until they are done, usually 3 1/2 - 4 hours, saucing the last 45 minutes or so. I've sprayed them and mopped them also, more to add flavor than to keep them from drying out. Keep an eye on them as they will dry out if overcooked but I've never had any trouble with them being tough.[p]I love bison meat, its pricey but worth it in my opinion.[p]Troy