Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recycled marinade question

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm marinading some sirloin steak for fajitas tomorrow night. I bought too much steak, so I was wondering if there is any harm in recycling the marinade with the leftover steak? I was thinking to dump the marinade and the steak in a foodsaver bag and freezing it. The marinade has beer, lime juice, canola oil and other spices and herbs.I'm just wondering how the three liquids would do to the meet when it's frozen.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I would do it in a heartbeat!I do not think it would do anything but freeze too.We freeze a lot of venison and other meats In marinade.easier to do a bunch than a little.Pull out what you want whenever we need it. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Corey,

If you boil it first and cool it you will be OK. If it has been on the meat and you don't, bad stuff can happen.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Better safe than sorry I guess.If the marinade had been in contact with poultry or pork I would be more concerned than with beef.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Corey
    God question, me personally i would have recycled it but after thinking about it depends on how long the first batch marinated and where was it (fridge,counter)all these little thing would leave me to believe that problems could arise from it. And chances are making another batch of the marinade would be a better choice and freezing it should not be a problem! I freeze chicken in marinade all the time!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    If you marinated the original batch of meat in the fridge. and the marinade was never left out for any major length of time…I would just freeze it. I’ve got “stuff” in the freezer “on hold” most all the time!
    In my thinking, the only time a marinade needs to be cooked (and it really should be) is when that left over marinade is going into / be used as dipping sauce.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I have to agree with Little Steven, boiling would eliminate most risk. If you have ever had food poisoning you wouldn't hesitate to play it safe. I tangled with salmonella many years ago and you do not want to go there.
    If boiling is going to degrade the marinade I would start out with fresh.
    Better safe then sorry and boy, can you ever be sorry!!!

Gator