Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Personal Recommended Pizza Stone

Options
bull
bull Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard that Pampered Chef pizza stones have a tendancy to disinagrate at temps of 600 on an egg.

Im a newbie lg egg owner and want to make pizzas and bread.
I was given a 15 inch stone, now worried about it coming apart.
Whats the eggsperts opinions on quality stones for my egg?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Use it with a plate setter. If I were to break the wifes pampered chef stone I would be on the grill. BGE has good stone but I got a 16" kiln shelf, Same thing but cheaper even with shipping. Here is a link
    http://www.axner.com/axner/equipment/cordierite-kiln-shelves.php
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,927
    Options
    Yes the PC stones have a bad track record when introduced to a BGE. Since you've already bit the bullet for your large then why not pop for their pizza stone which is made of the same ceramic material. My stone is now 9 years ago and shiny black as a veteran of many pizza cooks. Do you also have a plate setter? If not pick up one of those too.
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    For what it's worth, I bought a $9 pizza stone at wal-mart that has worked liked a charm for several dozen pizza cooks. I set it up on 3/4" copper couplings on top of the plate setter. I always put the stone in a cold egg and bring the $9 stone up to temp with the egg. I contemplated getting a more expensive stone at first, but then decided to try the cheapest thing I could find. If that broke I was only out $9 and would then invest in a more expensive / better alternative. I will give this piece of advice, get a plate setter. I think that is the reason my POS stone has worked so well. Of course this is one man's opinion. Whatever you decide to do, pizza on the egg is unbelievable.
  • bull
    Options
    Thanks for the advice folks.
    I did purchase a plate setter and will prolly purchase a bge pizza stone very shortly.

Thanks again for your shared knowledge.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    You cant go wrong with a BGE Stone either.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,927
    Options
    hey, I understand your logic and I'm glad it has worked out for you. I, OTOH have always been one to buy the best tool (or whatever) that I can reasonably afford at the time and then take good care of it.
  • bull
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    hey, I understand your logic and I'm glad it has worked out for you. I, OTOH have always been one to buy the best tool (or whatever) that I can reasonably afford at the time and then take good care of it.

Yes..no arguement there, been awaiting to purchase a bge for years, no listing on craigslist in my area for over 3 years.

I always try and save my money to purchase the best.
    Ive learned that over the years.......you always get what you pay for, best spoken truth there is.

Will be ordering a BGE pizza stone for peace of mind here.

Thanks again for everyones advice here.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,766
    Options
    FWIW:

pizzastones1.jpg

pizzastones2.jpg

On the left is PC and BGE stone on the right
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I would use it until it breaks… :ohmy: If it breaks.
    I use both a Pampered Chief and a BGE stone in my Egg. The PC stone is old (most likely better than 25 years and maybe they were better once, then they now are) and it has held up!
    OTOH, I do my pies at about 450 to 500 F.
    My BGE stone is bigger, and heavier, and I like that… ;) If I use them both at the same time, I set up the Egg with a plate setter legs up with a grid atop that. The BGE stone goes atop that grid, with my raised grid atop it. The PC stone then goes on the raised rig. Seems that the heavy, larger stone on the bottom and the smaller, lighter stone higher in the dome works best with both pies coming out about the same doneness.
    If I were going out to buy one, or if I buy another, I would go with a BGE or try out one of those Axner kiln shelf things! BTW, thanks for that link!
    But in the mean time...I'm using them both.
  • bull
    Options
    Thanks for the link as well!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We have a stone we are trying out tonight for Pizzas. My cousin works at the HD in the keys and he told me that a few BBQr's were coming in and getting the natural color unglazed pavers for pizza stones. they are only a couple of bucks and thick and work great. we picked one up to try it out. I figure it can not be any worse than using the plant pots for baking dishes :)
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I was using a “Villa” brand stone, it’s key feature was that it was cheap. I thought it was a good idea being cheap and functional. Used it for about a year and a half.
    Couple weeks ago I had everything set for pizza and opened the egg to find it broken.
    No more cheap stones for me!
    WLL
  • John & Misty
    Options
    We used our old Pampered Chef stone a few weeks ago for pizza with the plate setter at 500-550 degrees...it completely shattered! Will be getting BGE stone in OKC this weekend for sure. (the pizza was actually still good though!)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    RRP wrote:

More expensive does not always mean better or best. But I agree that you usually get what you pay for. I to usually go for the better and more expensive, they kind of go hand in hand but supply and demand sometimes dictates otherwise. At the time we were having distributor issues and it was a 4-6 week or more wait and then maybe. Another forum member pointed these out and figured what's to loose. I got a 16" stone until the BGE 21" stones came in. Come to find out they are the same thickness as the BGE and are made of the same material For all I know they are made at the same place. One has BGE one does not.