Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-heating pulled pork?

Options
Ryan
Ryan Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have about 3 lbs of pulled pork left from Sunday. What's the best way to re-heat it without compromising flavor and texture?[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Ryan,[p]To minimize the warmed over flavor (WOF) it helps to give the pork a little vinegar sauce before you package it. To reheat, I place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap in the microwave on medium-low power setting or 40% power. Punch a hole in the plastic to vent and heat only enough to heat the pork. I have found if you just throw the meat in the microwave on high the WOF is very noticable. The WOF is primarily from the oxidation of the meat, but other factors as well. Brined meats and cured meats don't have this problem like non-brined or non cured meats.[p]HTH!
    Ashley

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ryan,
    I place my leftovers in an aluminum pie plate, covered with foil and heated about 25-30 minutes in the oven at 400. I thought it tasted as good as new.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    i like to store my PP in ziplock, freeze some leftovers same way (ALL air out!)[p]then just pop in pot of boiling water...seems good as new to me
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Ryan,
    I reheat mine on a regular basis. In fact, I had PP last night that was finished on Sunday, and it was just fine. [p]My method was "observed" at a local joint that does a lot of real BBQ. They use a grill (restaurant style, flat steel) but I accomplish the same thing with a large pan. Measure out about what you are going to use (handfuls) and throw it in the pan. Add a mixture of apple juice, a sweet vinegar, and maybe something for a little seasoning/heat. I use Scotts BBQ Sauce. It is a thin, red, vinegar based "zippy" sauce that I get over the internet. So I mix the three items until I get a flavor I like and add it to the bottom of the pan and heat it up, covered, stirring occasionally. This provides flavor, moisture, and it keeps the PP from burning. The pork releases a little grease, and everything heats and mixes up real nice. You could add a little of your favorite seasoning or rub to the mixture if you need more flavor. Normally it isn't necessary. The leftover juice in the bottom of the pan makes for a great "Sop Sammich." Dip your bun into the juice and sop up what you can....This is generally one of the advantages of eating last, or being the cook.[p]Mike in MN[p]

[ul][li]Scott's BBQ Sauce[/ul]
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...[p]I ended up firing up the egg... I put the pork in a tin foil pan, added a little water and a teaspoon or two of chicken stock. I cooked it indirect at around 275 for 30 or 40 minutes. It tasted just like it did when I pulled the butt off of the grill on Sunday...[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

• Unknown
    Options
    What is considered a sweet vinegar?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ryan,
    You could put what you need into a sealable baggie and drop it into boiling water for 5 minutes or so. Comes out just fine.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Howard,[p]Try an apple cider vinegar. That would be considered a sweet vinegar. Mac
  • Unknown
    Options
    Aha! That makes sense. Thanks.
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Howard,
    I use a Garlic Flavored Rice Vinegar from Nakano. It is slightly sweet, mild, and has a ton of flavor. Very little "bite." It can be used as a salad dressing (by itself) or added to recipes in place of regular vinegar. [p]I buy it at several grocery stores, so I assume it is readily available. It is in the vinegar area, along with those oddball vinegars you can buy. I picked it up to try because it is fat free, and cholesterol free...there is sodium though. I use it on salads (alone as a dressing) veggies, in pastas, baked potatoes (no butter or salt required) sauces....Great stuff! [p]I just got the bottle out, and there is a website, follow the link, and then try to pick some up. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.[p]Mike in MN

[ul][li]Garlic Rice Vinegar[/ul]