Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

and so it begins...

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This has probably happened to others here...

I buy BGE (large)... wifie sez I'm nutz :blink:

She tastes food... goes "OMFG"... (suddenly, I'm no longer nutz :P )

Now she calls me from work and "orders" chicken breast (bone in) done on the BGE for supper. I suspect I'll now be getting "orders" on a regular basis! :woohoo:

SOOOoo.... indirect or direct? What temp? I'm thinking hickory.

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I like my breast hot and quick direct on a raised grid setup. Be easy with the wood poultry really sucks up the smoke.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have been wanting to do this one it looked so good when fidel did it but have not had time yet you can used the bone in if you want

Chicken, Breasts, Garlic, Basil, Parmesan

This would be much better indirect since the butter tends to create a lot of smoke, but I love using the mini so much I went direct. I added a couple small pieces of cherry to get a little color on the boneless skinless breasts. This turned out very nice - a great twist on a otherwise bland cut. Served it up with a little sauteed spinach topped with parmesan and wild mushroom risotto.

• 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    • 1/2 cup butter, melted + 1/2 cup butter, softened
    • 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
    • 1 Tbs Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1/8 tsp salt

1 Press the black pepper into the chicken breasts.
    2 In a bowl mix the melted butter and 1/4 cup of the chopped basil.
    3 Brush the chicken with the basil-butter. Save the remaining butter to baste the chicken.
    4 In a bowl mix the 1/2 cup softened butter with the remaining basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and salt. The mixture should be well blended and smooth.
    5 Grill the chicken at 375-400*. Baste the chicken frequently with the melted basil-butter.
    6 Serve the chicken topped with the basil-Parmesan butter.

Recipe Source
    Author: Fidel

Source: BGE Forum on 2008/05/29

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Go easy on the wood. If you have apple or cherry I would use that instead of hickory, but even then don't use too much...
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Ok, so these are BONE-IN chickie boobs.

I have a handful of hickory soaking (about 1/2 cup) - that shouldn't be too much?

The question is, direct or indirect? (plate setter or no).

Temp - I'm looking at about 350 either way.

Now I'm still very new at egging, so please be gentle! LOL :woohoo:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    direct will give you nice crispy skin. If they are skinless, go indirect.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    fidel's instructions say it would be better indirect. so i would try it that way

also you do not have to soak your chips with a egg here is why::

when you have a diffrent type of smoker they are usually not airtight as the egg is so you have to saok to keep them just smoldering.. with the egg it lets so little air in that your wood will smolder without burning up so fast..

also if you get the oppertunity buy chunks instead of chips.. just me $.02 on the chips

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    OttawaEgg-

Chicken is best done on a raised grill but *not* indirect. Indirect is like cooking in an oven and the skin will never crisp up. To raise the grill go to a brickyard and ask for half-thickness firebricks. These are - as the name says - regular firebricks that are only about an inch thick. If you lay three firebricks on their long end evenly spaced on the fire ring of the Egg, then put the grill on top, you'll find that the grill is at the same height as the Dome opening. Convenient!

So fire up to about 400 and let the grill get hot. Cook skin side down for about 15 minutes, then flip and cook the balance bone-side down. Probably will go another 20 minutes, or to 180 internal, or until the juices run clear when poked with a fork.

As mentioned by other posters, be careful with the smoke, as poultry will take the smoke pretty easily.

Look for another post appealing to Ontario Eggers for info, if you would, as I need some help.

Good luck -

Bob V
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Well, I'm nowhere near a brickyard.

And these are "bone-in", not boneless.

So, if I got "direct", I guess my grill will be too close to the coals?

Getting confused... :S
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I get the same kind of requests, except she's usually calling from the meat counter at grocery store telling me that such-and-such looks really good today, or there's a sale on so-and-so and that would be nice for dinner. It's a good problem to have :)

If you can't raise the grid, you can still do the breasts direct. Just back your temp off and use a smaller load of lump. Try 350°F. meat side down for 10 minutes, them flip for another 10 and then meat side down again until they hit 160°F internal. I like to baste them with teriyaki sauce or bbq sauce right at the end.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    OK - the decision has been made..

No plate setter... direct heat at 350... flippin halfway

.. and yes, I'll douse em with some BBQ sauce when they're almost done.

Now... which wine... my homemade red... or my homemade red :lol:
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    OttawaEgg -

I meant "brickyard" generically - call around to anyone in your area who sells bricks and they should have half-thickness firebricks. They are widely used when building fireplaces.

The problem with chicken is that if it is too close to the fire it will burn on the outside before it is done on the inside, yet if you cook indirect it cooks evenly but never crisps. That's why the solution is to elevate the grill.

Davekatz' solution is a good one, though with a lower temp it will take a bit longer to cook.

Same principle applies as with elevated grill - go skin side down first, then flip and finish bone side down.

Bob V
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Thanks again - I do appreciate all the help, and I will hunt for those half-thickness bricks.

Oh, and I don't mind if it takes a bit longer to cook, I have plenty of crown royal :woohoo:

Cheers :cheer:
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Hey Ottawa,
    Are your Wife and mine Sisters? :unsure:
    I'm going through eggactly the same thing.

Like I said, I'll be in Ottawa tomorrow.
    Steak please. Medium. And don't forget the Lobster Tails!

You do have to try that Forty Creek Barrel Select.
    It blows Crown Royal away. Cheaper too! :woohoo: