Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large w/ Spider vs plate setter

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have small w/plate setter and use it. Question on Large: getting a spider and pizza stone, do I need to get a plate setter also?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I have both but use the spider/pizza stone/adjustable rig more. I like the platesetter/pizza stone for pizzas. No you don't need both but he who dies with the most toys wins :laugh: :woohoo:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have the adjustable rig and gave my plate setter away.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I like the pizza stone and plate setter for pizza also. Tried pizza direct on plate setter once and won't do it again.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I bought my "eggcessories",unfourtunately,before I discovered the forum.I would go with adjustable rig and spider/stone if I could afford a "do-over"!!! ;)
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I use them both. And you are more than welcome to test drive the platesetter before you buy one. I have two large placesetters so loaning you one for a while would not be an inconvenience. Just let me know.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Love the adjustable rig and spider. I use a 16" SS deep dish pizza pan for indirect cooking.

I have only used the plate setter twice in a year and a half.

GG
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Our first Egg was a Small. I bought a plate setter with it. Soon afterwards I bought a set of GrateMates and started using a stainless pot lid on the GrateMates ring as a heat deflector. I haven't used the plate setter in the Small since. When we bought the Large we immediately ordered an Adjustable Rig and Spider. I use either a 14" drip pan or a 12" pizza stone as a heat deflector depending on the setup.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I use the spider for indirect cooks and the platesetter for pizza (along with the stone).