Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For DP Lamb Rack cook, Can I Drop Platesetter in?

Options
2cats
2cats Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Into a warm/hot egg, after the sear? It states (http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesLambChops.html) to roast post sear at 325 to 400. Can I take the lamb off, cool the egg to below 400, put in the plate setter, without shattering it? Will this work?

Many thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I did it last night :) No problems.
  • 2cats
    Options
    Outstanding; thanks a lot.

Joe
  • 2cats
    Options
    Turned out not to be so practical, because of how long it takes to cool. Meat was a little over 100 after sear; dome didn't get below 500. So I just tossed the rack in a pan on the low grid with the vents closed - I guess this is just Trexxing with a pan. After 7 minutes (less time than DP's instructions due to higher temp) it was 140 inside; overcooked in terms of a number, but still nicely pink. Tasted good.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hah, with mine the combination of adding the platesetter and shutting down the vents it cooled pretty quick.
    Next time I will be cutting mine into 2's and see how it goes.

Sounds like we both need another Egg :ohmy:
  • 2cats
    Options
    Well, didn't put the plate setter in. Didn't think of its impact on the cooling, and I guess I was still worried about dropping it in at 520. I was trying to cool first. I'll try that next time.