Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggheads At Duel on The Deck

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Michelle and I are very proud and humbled to represent The EggHead Forum members at the First Annual, Duel on The Deck, April 18th, at STATS in Atlanta. We were chosen at random and were quite surprised when we got the email. It took a day to say YES and to arrange for a flight, car, and hotel. We are scambling to come up with a menu. This is a great challenge. In 1 1/2 hours, you must prep and cook 1 main and 2 sides. Only 1 Large Egg can be used, and the main entree must contain Texas Pete Hot Sauce. We have been told that there are eight, two man teams. We welcome any help or suggestions on the menu. Just remember, 1 Egg, 1 main, 2 sides in 1 1/2 hours. In honor of the forum, We have named our team:

M-T Eggheads...wish us luck :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Congrats buddy. Good luck to you and Michelle. Is silicone allowed? :ohmy: :blush:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The goal is to keep the judges alive after eating. Somebody take the silicon away from Tim! :woohoo:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Congrats! Let me know if you need anything.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    How cool is That. I know you and Michelle will enjoy the trip. I wish I could make it over just to watch.

M-T Eggheads......Very true for one of you :pinch:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    WOW! Congrats to you both!! I sure wish we could be there to watch and encourage you both on :) I hope someone will be there taking pics :) What ever you decide to do you will be awesome I am sure :) Julie
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    If they don't fear the Egg now, I bet they will soon. Open a can you two. :evil:

Egg stong...Live long!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Congrat's! Wow, what an honor. I know you and Michelle will win.
    Well there's wings, tater skins, steak, shrimp, stir fry, pizza....I guess something different will impress the judges. Go M-T Eggheads! :woohoo:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Congratulations.
    How about your wonderful pork roulade with Texas Pete sauce for flavor and heat and asparagus wrapped in prosuitto sprinkled with texas pete..
    If fish fits the menu do like you did Little Stevens mahi add the sauce to the mayo.

there is the DeKalb Farmers market that if Eggstremely well stocked.

http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

See if Mother ship can get the photographer that is at the Octoberfests.

Great Easter present.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Congrats!! You guys will represent with flying colors!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I know you'll do well. I am going to try and make it down, and if you need anything at all for prep work, supplies, etc. let me know. I can get it to you Saturday morning. Much easier than trying to bring it with you.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    After doing a couple multi-item cooks in a time frame I can offer you this. Resist any temptation to do anything other than simple. Yes, you can wow them with this and that and so forth,but the more complex something is, even if it has a short cook time, you lose valuable time prepping those dishes.

How much hot sauce do you need? Don't think about just using it on your main meat item. You might find an easy side dish you can use it with.

Also, be prepared in case the eggs arent up to the temp you want. When we did the BGE Challenge at the BBQlossal that started the eggs as soon as we got our surprise cut of pork.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Congratulations Tim and Michelle,
    Grilled Romaine for one of your sides

Ross
  • bubba tim
    Options
    We agree with you Dog! It will be a balancing of time and complexity as to what we will cook. I think simple will rule the day. Maybe some ABTs and wings for sides :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: ....lol
    joking..
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Thanks Rod,
    The only thing I think we will need to pick up is a cooler with wheels. The knifes I plan to overnight to the Hotel. The CI DO and fry pan we will take on the plane. Does Atlanta have fresh corn yet? If not we can gring some from down here.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Good luck Tim & Michelle....will be keeping an eye on you next saturday...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I haven't seen any fresh corn yet, but I'll swing by and take a look this week and let you know.

If you need a cooler with wheels I have one you can use - if it's big enough for you. Let me know how big of one you need.

Let me know when you guys are getting in town.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    meet me on Skype
  • Great idea on the pork roulade!

I saw it but never got a chance to taste it. From all of the reports it was fantastic! Poor Sundown. :(

Richard, I agree with your menu. You hit the nail on the head.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Now I know what you were talking about...

Congratulations to both you and Michelle!

It will be fun following the posts and seeing the results.

Good cooking, Kent
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Thanks Kent, Now if I can just talk with Wayne, I will be all set. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Congrats Tim and Michelle :woohoo: I hope to make it down there to chear ya'll on :cheer: :P :ohmy:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Congrats! :woohoo: I have not been around long but long enough to know that you and Michelle are definitely a good pick to represent BGE. Looks like the other teams have there work cut out for them. :ohmy: Good luck and we will be a rootin fer ya. :laugh:
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I know you will make us proud! ;)
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You and Michelle are agreat choice to represent the eggheads :cheer:
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Thanks, I wish we could claim we were picked. It was just the luck of a random drawing. I know there were many more fine Eggheads to choose from. I can tell you all, that we will be all business in Atlanta. We are Eggheads and are proud to represent! To put it in other words.....

IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG! BooYa!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Congrats guys & gals, I know you will do well. I was supposed to be out of town on Saturday but it got cancelled so Ginny & I will try to come over to cheer you on....good luck...