Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Timer - Ribs

Options
atxtraveler
atxtraveler Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK all... Purchased my BGE on Friday evening, spent the night preparing it, and soaking some apple and pecan wood. Loaded up the BGE with some BGE charcoal, topped it off with some smoke chips, put in the indirect heat plate, and turned it up. While I was getting the first burn going, I accidentally left the flue and top open a little too much and got it up to 700 degrees! Needless to say with the indirect heat plate in, the temperature on the sides was intense enough to melt my first felt rings! Luckily, I had not put meat on yet. I brought the temp back down to about 250, based on the video I watched on here about smoking ribs. Put them on, and decided to check back in 2 hours instead of the 3 it mentioned on the video. Good thing I did, as obviously my ribs were a bit smaller than the ones on the video. The first round came out a little dry, but the smoke flavor was really good. I think I will try again with a little less heat (I hear 220 is better) for a little longer, with same same mix of chips.

IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4353.JPG

Comments

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Practice makes perfect! And, it's still fun eating the "mistakes"!

Slick
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg and welcome to the cult. Those beef ribs look great. Gald to see you jump right in there and start posting your stuff. Keep it up and as you may have figured out there are a lot of folks here willing to help out with any problems or questions.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Practice makes perfect. They look as you said but still great tasteing I am sure. You will find that the learning curve with the Egg is short. I would say that you didn't have to throw it out it was a sucessful cook.
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Hey, There is a definite learning curve to this egg thing. Everytime I cook is still an adventure to me. Whenever you've got fire and food so close together in a ceramic egg, there's always the potential for the unexpected mishap. The end result is almost always great though. Enjoy!!
  • atxtraveler
    Options
    Well, I guess I am my biggest critic, as two of the four people who enjoyed these ribs mentioned they are the best they have tasted in a while. As mentioned above, as long as you are not throwing them out, you could consider them a good cook.

I'll give myself a 5 on this one and move on to the next try.

One piece of advice I already received was to try a 3-2-1 method. Smoke, wrap in foil, then back on the smoke for a time period.

Since I am currently on a low carb diet, I can likely keep trying until I get it right!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    If you are doing low carb, you will love the Egg! Try pizza with low carb tortillas. Not as good as the real thing, but better than going without.

Slick
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    One other thing is that you don't have to soak the chunks before putting them in the Egg.