Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeah Baybee !

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my egg (large) last weekend :woohoo:

Like some of you I'm sure, the missus was somewhat dubious - oh, heck - she said I was nuts ! :blink:

THEN she tried a piece of steak....

The reaction "oh... my...god".

I've done ribs as well - fantastic, and smoked some salmon last night.

I'm beginning to think the egg should be kept secret - you know how the govt loves to tax things we enjoy!

... and now back to our show

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It's a natural high that I haven't seen the end of. :laugh:
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Now, I'm searching for a good recipe for making smoked salmon.

I want to do a whole or half side of the lil fishy, and I have the maple wood chips.

Nothing fancy, just a straight smoky but moist flavour.

Of course, the list of what I want to try is endless.

"go with the green, not in between" !
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Congratulations on your new toy and welcome to the cult. By any chance, does your handle mean that you live in the nation's capital?

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• OttawaEgg
    Options
    Chef Charles wrote:
    Congratulations on your new toy and welcome to the cult. By any chance, does your handle mean that you live in the nation's capital?

That's right! Where ALL the fun is !
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Glad to see another egger in the vicinity. There are several canucks that belong to the forum.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    RGBHV - Mississauga

My wife had the same reaction.

She won't cook on the egg yet - too bad as she's a great cook. Baby steps, she'll come around and then I can supervise. Ha! Ha!

Michael
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Welcome to the Best (and last) grill/smoker you can buy !
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Happy to see another fellow Canuck join in on all the fun!!Congrats on your purchase hope you will also post some pics of those great meals you are enjoying!
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Hey Ottawa! Welcome to the click. Your fun is just begining! For what it's worth. My Wife said I was nuts too! She is now making cook requests in advance! Wait until you throw a pizza and wing party! Your whole neighborhood will be your freinds then. Even the PM might stop by!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Welcome, your life will never be the same. :) Trust me it won't take long for you wife to get hooked on this. This is just your first of many eggs. If you go through the member profiles and the cookers they own, you'll be surprised. Very few have only one egg. I never thought I would own more than one. I bought my first large egg last June and I now own 2 large, a small and I have an order in for a mini.
    Oh yeah, and don't forget the eggfests. Never, ever thought I'd be going to one of them. I always thought..."that's insane". Well, since last Oct. I've been to eggfests in Atlanta, Chicago & Ocala. And I'm going to Oklahoma next weekend and Waldorf first week of May. Like I said the fun is just starting.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    RGBHV

Whereabouts in Hazeltown? I'm in Caledon

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OttawaEgg
    Options
    reelgem wrote:
    .... I bought my first large egg last June and I now own 2 large, a small and I have an order in for a mini.
    Oh yeah, and don't forget the eggfests. Never, ever thought I'd be going to one of them. I always thought..."that's insane". Well, since last Oct. I've been to eggfests in Atlanta, Chicago & Ocala. And I'm going to Oklahoma next weekend and Waldorf first week of May. Like I said the fun is just starting.

Wow - I hope you're not keeping all your eggs in one basket! :laugh:

Didn't realize that a simple hello would bring so many replies! Great to see so many happy eggers!

Cheers!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Welcome aboard! For a great smoked salmon, try a skin-on fillet, brush with olive oil, a little kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and a few paper thin slices of lemon. Oil the skin and put it on a rack or even a sheet pan. Cook at 250 for an hour with some apple wood for smoke. Very delicate smoke flavor, and the simple spices really let the flavor of the fish shine through. Check out Emeril's dill sauce recipe on foodnetwork.com. It's the bomb with this!

Slick