Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Day 5 and 6 with new egg... Hamburgers and pork shoulder.

Options
Ryan
Ryan Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pork.jpg
<p />I cleaned out the egg yesterday. Vacuumed under the firebox, removed ash etc... I loaded it up with fresh charcoal, being careful to put the large pieces in the center... I fired her up with my Mapp torch and let her come up to around 700 degrees. I threw on 4 hamburgers and cooked them for about 8 minutes. They were awesome. I closed the daisy wheel and the lower vent and let it get back down to around 200 degrees. At 11:00 last night, I put on a 7 lb pork shoulder that I smeared with Dijon mustard, then rubbed with a basic rub (Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, dark brown sugar, regular sugar, cayenne pepper and Hungarian paprika) I checked it at 7:00 this morning and she was cruising at 220 degrees. I opened it up a little to bring it up to 250 degrees. It finally reached 200 degrees at 5:00PM tonight. I pulled it and wrapped it in foil and let it sit for an hour. It was without question, the best pulled pork I've ever eaten. My family loved it and I have plenty of leftovers for the week.[p]I LOVE MY EGG!!!!!!![p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Ryan ,
    Seems things are "clicking!" The pork shoulder looks great! I have 2 of em going as we speak....but mine are for tomorrow night. Keep up the experimenting and reporting, we like reading about the most excellent results. Heck, we even want to know about those that don't go so smooth....[p]Mike in MN

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Ryan ,
    Congrats! You and your egg seem to be getting together perfectly. I just want to know what you'll be cooking after a month if you are doing overnight pulled pork the first week! Keep up the great news!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Ryan ,[p]Ryan...you are the MAN!!! [p]Fearless in your pursuits...yes, a man to be reckoned with!![p]Enjoy...[p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    Shelby,
    I gotta say, I blame the egg for my success. Pulled pork was the FIRST thing I made the day I got my egg, and it came out perfect. Speaking of which I am up at school right now and am going to put a few butts on the egg tomorrow for my sister and her husband...... talk about asking for a favor!!
    -Joel