Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time ribs; recipe enclosed; opinions accepted

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got my plate setter on the way for my Large. Long story. Been wanting to cook ribs ever since my lovely wife got me the Egg. I have a great grilled rib recipe and technique, but it would not translate to the Egg, cause it was foiled the whole time. I found this recipe. Anyone else care to contribute their recipe and technique? What's the setup? What smoke and temp? I think ribs are best when they still hold to the bone, but release easily when bitten, and they are in fact overcooked if the bone falls out just by picking it up.

Championship BBQ Ribs
Recipe courtesy of Chris Lily, Alabama.
Chris Lily was my first inspiration for real BBQ. His method displays just how
important care and preparation are to award winning BBQ. You'll find that the
membrane is easy to remove, and you'll see what a difference this step
makes when you bite effortlessly into each rib. Also, it's important to take
note of how stage 2 introduces flavorful steam, yielding a tender, pleasant
result.

Ingredients:
The Ribs
• Three slabs of loin back ribs
1st Stage-Dry Rub
• 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
• 1/2 cup paprika
• 1/3 cup garlic salt
• 2 tbsp onion salt
• 2 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tbsp black pepper
• 1 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1 1/2 tsp white pepper
• 1 tsp cumin
2nd Stage
• 1/2 cup 100% apple juice, per slab
• 1/2 cup 100% grape juice, per slab
3rd Stage
• 1 part brown sugar
• 2 parts reserved spice, rub, mix
Finishing Glaze
• 3 parts Big Bob Gibson Red sauce, (substitute your favourite)
• 1 part honey

Directions:
The Ribs
1. Place slab of ribs bone side down on table. Slide knife under
the membrane and against the end bone to separate the two. With a dry
paper towel or rag, grasp the edge of the thin membrane and pull. The
entire membrane should separate from the rib.
1st Stage-Dry Rub
1. Combine 1st stage rub and mix well. Generously apply rub onto
the front and back sides of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub will adhere.
Preheat pit or grill to 250 degrees. Place ribs meat-side up and cook for 2
hours 15 minutes.
2nd Stage
1. Remove ribs from grill. Place each rib meat side down on its
own doubled aluminium foil square. Foil should be large enough to
completely wrap rib. Mix the 2nd stage juices. Pour 1 cup liquid over each rib.
At the same time wrap and seal each rib tight. Place back on the grill for 1
hour.
3rd Stage
1. Remove wrapped ribs from grill. Remove from foil and apply a
light coat of the 3rd stage rub to the meat-side of the ribs. Place uncovered
on the grill meat-side up for 30 minutes.
Finishing Glaze
1. Remove ribs from grill. Brush finishing glaze on both sides of
ribs. Place on grill for 10 minutes, or until sauce caramelizes.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi there! I have always followed Car Wash Mikes with great success! That being said this does look like an interesting bunch of flavors and might be worth trying? It is hard to break from a tried and true when you have had such great success with it though..... if you go with it let us know how it comes out :) Julie
  • Looks like a lot of work to me.

Dry rub the ribs into the fridge for a couple of hours then onto Eggie at 250º - 275º

I go direct on a raised grid bone side down. Cook time is around 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Meat will pull back from the end of the bone about 1/2 an inch when done.

Eat.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    A three part rib cook is one of the standard rib techniques, although I oftentimes don't return them to the cooker for that last part. My rubs are simpler. I also don't use anywhere near as much liquid as Chris calls out. I would rather use some honey than the brown sugar during the foil step, and I make sure to put the ribs "meat down" when in the foil. I do remove the membrane, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how he does it with the bone side down.....I would caution you not to rely on time alone for any of the three parts of a rib cook. You need to watch for color and doneness during the first part, monitor tenderness during the second part, and keep an eye on color again during the third part. The foil time is the one to really watch. Sometimes 45 minutes will be perfect for your taste. Or you might like a different level of tenderness.

My write up for what I call EZBB ribs is on my site, as is Car Wash Mike's "Baby Back Rib Class". This is an excellent method that does not rely on foil.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    I have only one thing to add. As you probably know, it is very easy to burn sugar. If your meat has rub on it with sugar, and any part of that meat gets too hot, the sugar will burn. I cannot tell you the exact temp that sugar burns, but I would assume around 450. I have had problems using sugared rubs in the first stage because the edges of the meat may get hotter than the dome temp. Most likely this is from a hot draft from the coals or some radiant heat from the coals that is not blocked by the plate setter. I therefore rub my ribs with mustard, salt and pepper and some good, spicy rub without sugar. I add sweetness later with juice in the second stage as your recipe calls for. You'll see, in the later stages, it is a challenge to not burn the sugared glaze. Good Luck!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've done this recipe many times, but I don't remember Chris as being the author. Anyway, they come out very tasty but way overcooked. Most people love them because they are almost like eating candy. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The foiling step pretty much guarantees tender ribs, but I find that sometimes it makes them a bit mushy. With the Egg's moisture retention, just a little water in the drip pan keeps the slabs from drying out.

I grew up on sauced ribs. First time I went to a place that served them dry, I was bewildered. The fellow who took me there said that if I asked for sauce, the cook would most likely be offended. Over time, I've come to prefer a dry rib, that is so moist and flavorful that it doesn't need any sauce, but there should be some really good sauce on the side for just a bit of extra lip-smacking.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I think it is WAY too involved but if that floats your boat.....

My way for back ribs - Remove the membrane and put some salt or rub on them and let set overnight in the refrig. This is optional if you are saucing them.

Fire up the egg to 225 - 250. Put ribs on and don't open/peek for 4 hours. Then brush with a sauce. I use Blue's Hog. Close lid and wait 30 minutes then open and put brush a light coating of another sauce. I use Texas Rib Rangers spicy. Let cook for another 10 minutes or wrapped in foil or eat as is.

Very simple - very good.

Spacey - KISS believer
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    with that much liquid in stage two you might want to either preheat the liguid or raise the dome temps. at 250 degree dome i doubt that liquid will start steaming til stage two is almost over. by the way, those times are really a guide,when your done with stage two and thos ribs arent tender, keep them in the foil and give them a little more time in that stage til they are. i just cook raised grill direct now, the simple life
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    OK so in general because the Egg retains moisture so well, I would either not need to foil at all, or at minimum use less liquid in the foil. I agree the honey in the final step would make it too sweet. I want a balance between sweet and spicy and smoke flavors. I'm just gonna have to try a batch and tweak for the next time and the next time.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    250 might work well in his cooker to get the ribs braising quickly, but in an egg the grill level is cooler than the dome. if i put say a dutch oven in an egg i dont get a good simmer unless im over 300 degrees dome, same would be for a foil pouch. the best way to find how you like ribs is to try all methods and try them several times because different racks seem to cook differently.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it