Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you cover your egg?

Options
Ryan
Ryan Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious if everyone keeps their egg covered when it's not in use? If not, how long before the hinge and lower vent rust out?[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Ryan, I was taught to buy the best tools I could afford and then take care of them. Now at the ripe "old age" of 58 my Father's training makes sense to me. So, yes I cover my eggs when not in use.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Ryan,
    We don't cover either of ours, and have no problem with rust.[p]~nikki

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm in Southern California. What is rust? That must be something that happens to metal in places where it rains and snows. We get verry little of the former, and none of the latter in LA.
    I don't cover my egg, and I expect that the metal will last about as long as I do (or longer)

• Unknown
    Options
    Ryan,
    I bought a cover at Walmart (much cheaper than the BGE one and it not only keeps out the weather, it camophlages the egg from potential thieves.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Barredrock,
    I worried about thieves, until the first time we tried moving it (large BGE) it's a real challenge. Not too bad when it comes in the shipping box and you can carry it piece by piece...but put together it is heavy and awkward. I had to move it into the house once to let it thaw out. Maybe if it would've been covered, the dome wouldn't have been frozen shut????? Maybe there is a good reason to cover it.[p]I haven't covered mine, and it is about 1 year old. It has held up quite well to the elements. It would be nice if it was all shiny and clean.... but it isn't an issue with me. As long as it cooks (2 Pork Shoulder Boston Blades at an internal plateau of 153 and 158 as we speak) that's all that matters to me. [p]Mike in MN