Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
They should start soon adding a screen porch to the back of our house.
DSC_0009.jpg
We will screen on top of the low brick wall, out to the fireplace.
DSC_0009.jpg
I want the carpenter to build counters for my LBGE (and a future small) near the house. He will extend the slab out about 2 feet to move the eggs back and out from under the current porch ceiling (back from where the egg sits now).
DSC_0005.jpg
Since the space from the left (house wall) to the right (brick column he will convert to a smaller cedar post) is only about 65", it will be a little crowded. I want the eggs to sit similar to SSN686 and Lab Rats (open). This pic shows the LBGE close to the column, showing amount of space remaining.
DSC_0012.jpg
The plan is to also built a counter where I have the two tables lined up coming out from the column. This will have a working counter on one side and a bar-level counter on the back side.
DSC_0011.jpg
Sink is out due to extreme problems with city codes and outdoor sinks. Plan for refrigerator under the end of the bar counter.

Big project. Hope to start within a few weeks. Any comments, suggestions appreciated. THX

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Looks like a sweet space out there Clark. Your ideas sound excellent.....especially getting the egg away from the house a little ;-)

As far as the sink, most places just want the outdoor sink to drain into the same place your house does. The inspector here (this is a tough county as well) had no problems since we punched it through the wall and into our main drain system.

Looks like you have a nice project ahead!!
    Best of luck.
    Chris

PS...one thing I am wondering is how the roof of this porch will tie in with the house roof. Curious to watch your progress!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Looks like it is going to be nice. Where have you been cleaning all those fish you have been catching? A bottle of Jack Daniels sometimes works wonders.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Chris. It would be quite expensive as there are no plumbing on that side of the house.

Roof - he plans to go back up onto the existing roof several feet and tie in. Same shingles, same trim as house. Cedar 4x4 posts with screen panels in between. Cypress cabinetry. I will buy an inexpensive LCD TV for one wall. Already have sound system out there.

We have problems with western sun on that side and this will really help with that.

My biggest concern is smoke getting captured under the ceiling, even though we are pushing the grill out and having a higher ceiling over that part of the porch.

I will have pics as we progress.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Clark:

Can't wait to see the finished project...looks like it will be beautiful!

My sink is NOT tied into the house drain system. The contractor put in a "French drain"...basically a plastic 55 gal drum with holes in it, set into a field of rock and sand. Normally all I do is rinse things off and clean the cooking grids so there isn't anything of any size going into the drain. I would guess that at some time down the road (a few years at least) I may have to open up the drum to see if I need to clean it out. Or pour some septic tank cleaner into it.

Keep us updated with build progress!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Looks good, I don't have a a sink tied into my house plumbing either. I extended the pvc out under the pavers after I re-laid them and it drains out into the drainage easement on the other side of the privacy fence. Hardly ever use it. SSN686 idea sounds good. I can't wait to see the finished product. I stole my EGG counter idea from SSn686 as well. I have a cedar enclosed screen porch at the back of my house as well although the outdoor kitchen area isn't screened would be glad to post or send you pics if you would like.

Good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Can't wait till the wife approve the purchase of my tv tho!
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    One other thought on those columns, looking at what you currently have in place, I don't think I would do 4X4, If at all I think 6X6 would probably look better. All the columns on the front, in and out back of my house are 6x6 and I am glad we went with them instead of the 4x4.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I misspoke.
    He will replace the brick columns with wooden posts (probably large ones, like you said). He thinks he can move the middle one over to the right side and incorporate it into the end of the counter, opening up the porch more.
    The posts along the outside of the screened porch (which usually are 2x4's) will be 4x4's with the screen panels in between.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Sounds good. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Nice looking backyard.