Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small acting up tonight...or maybe it was me

Options
Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried the first spatchcock chicken since I got my small. I don't know what I've been waiting on. Anyway, I bought some bolts to rig up a raised grid. I figrued that would be best for a whold checken direct setup in the small.
IMG_0992.jpg

I cut down a wine cork about 1/2 an inch to raise the thermometer out of the way. (Pay no attn to the pollen. I just wiped that thing down day before yesterday.)
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg

I filled the lump about 1/2 way up the fire box, I figured that would be plenty to get the temp up to 400. It didn't. I decided early on to add a platesetter and drip pan because I was afraid of burning the skin before the meat got done. Then I got the bright idea to add some water to the pan to keep from burning the fat drippings. (can't seem to leave well enough alone)

I clipped the q2 pit probe to the dome probe which was now about an inch or so into the dome. The pit probe read 330 and the dome probe read 300. Some questions I have are, do I have the dome probe into the egg far enough? Would this account for the difference in temps? I could not get the dome any hotter until I removed the platesetter and drip pan (with some residual water left). Could the steam be what was keeping the temp down?

Long story short, the chicken finally finished, after going back to the original direct setup. The skin got nice and crispy and the flavor was fantastic. I had injected it with creole garlic and rubbed with shakin the tree.

I really shouldn't post the pic of the food, it was a very quick shot. I didn't take any time to try to make it look good, but here it is anyway.
IMG_0991.jpg

SSL (sorry sooooo long)

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Jo Jo, I think your chicken looks great. Whatever you did, it was right!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Thanks Faith, it did turn out good in the end.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That's really all that matters. Direct, indirect, drip pan, water in the drip pan.... who cares as long as you are watchful and monitoring it, which you obviously were.

A little known secret about the egg - you can't really mess stuff up too much on the it as long as you are careful!!

Faith
    Tampa, Fl
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    My kids were acting up last night too, hard time comeing up to temp. I think it was a combination of a few things. It has been raining solid here for Three weeks so the lump is probably damp. I havent cooked in two weeks(out of town). I havent cleaned them in a while so I did not add fresh lump, trying to burn down so I could clean them both this week. They did fine just had to go a little longer. This week end they will be kicking overtime for Easter Dinner(Brisket and a ham). :woohoo:
  • Firetruck
    Options
    I'm looking forward to a long weekend with the family too.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hey JoJo,

The bird looks fantastic!

I also like your idea with the wine cork, the stem on my thermometer prevents me from putting my dutch oven on a raised grate in my medium BGE. I'm going to have to research that a little. Thanks!

Gator
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Thanks Gator, that's something I saw a while back on here. BTW I rechecked my thermo and it was reading 200 in boiling water :blush:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Is your egg dusty? Do I need to come rescue it?
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Options
    Good lookin' bird.

My sympathies on the pollen. I only recently got the last of the Magnolia State's yellow dust off of my porch and Egg.