Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*PING*: vidalia1

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Kim
When I spoke to your wife in Ocala she mentioned that you sometimes use Publix dough for pizza. I dont have time to make any today so I bought the Publix dough.
Any tips on how to make sure the toppings dont burn before the crust is done?
Thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Kim is at the practice round at Augusta today and won't be back until late so I'll chime in.

The publix dough works good. Let it warm up before you try to use it if you can.

Cook it at 450-475 and don't top it too heavily and you'll be fine.

That dough ball is more than enough for a 14" pie, so cut some off or you'll have a very thick crust. I actually cut it in half and make two 12" pies.

Good luck, hit me offline if you want a cell number and I'll be able to answer your questions better.
  • egger66
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will split it and make 2 12" pies, that gives me an extra pie to work on if things dont turn out on the 1st :pinch:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Egger - In agreement with Fidel here. Tim and I use that dough for a time saver. We split it, and make two large pies. We cook indirect at 475, (with the pizza stone IN the egg, preheating the whole time). We slide the pie on the hot stone with a peel, and 12 minutes later, a quick and decent pie.
    (You can use an inverted cookie sheet if you don't have a peel...and remember to use a bit of cornmeal so the dough doesn't stick to the peel.)
    Also, once the dough stops stretching and starts shrinking back up when you are forming, walk away for 5 minutes to let the dough relax. When you come back to it, it will be far more cooperative!
    Hope this helps!
  • egger66
    Options
    I'm taking the 5 min. break right now It's not cooperating yet :laugh:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Sorry I missed your earlier post and I agree with Rod & LC. We let our Publix dough sit for up to 4 hours if possible....I saw your results turned out good...