Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Silicone Gasket

Options
Bill0021
Bill0021 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,
I am having trouble with the infamous gasket.
I contacted a few retailers and none have the nomex, so I contacted The Canadian Dist, and the reply was:

"I am sorry to inform you that at this time, we do not have the Nomex gasket available here in Canada.
When the Nomex gasket becomes available we will update our order forms, so retailer can start to distribute them." So the answer was no, and we suggest you just keep calling your retailer and not us for an undetermined amount of time.

i have sent an email to Georgia as well but my understanding from the forum searches is that they will not ship to Canada, but I have not heard back yet and only sent it this morning so I am not ragging on them.

My question is I saw that a few people have used just high temp silicone as the actual gasket. Squirt it on as a bead around that egg. Sounds like that might be a really good solution. There was not much information on it though.

Has anyone tried this in the long term? Any Pics and/or suggestions?

I love my egg but am not having much luck with the gaskets.

Comments

• Cornbread
    Options
    Check out the smokin guitar player website he has the nomex gaskets I just recieved mine. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/
  • soulfish
    soulfish Posts: 68
    Options
    my retailer just got the nomex a couple weeks ago. they were on backorder, is what he told me. the pipeline should be filling now or soon.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    I live in Canada (Toronto, and just ordered one from FredsMusicAndBBQ.com... They ship hear, although shipping is 18 bux US.. ouch..
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    $18 US??? That must include some kind of flat handling charge too! That gasket is light weight enough that it could even be sent in a mailer which I believe is actually cheaper than when a rigid box is used - but I might be wrong.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Well us Canadian's get screwed by shipping and duties over the border all the time. I doubt it includes duties.. It's Fedex Ground, which normally doesn't. Most U.S. retailers will flat rate to cover their butts - and most end up making a profit off of the shipping.

I'm just thankfull it's Fedex and not UPS.. As a Canadian you NEVER get stuff shipped UPS over the boarder.. They will reposess your home for their "brokerage fee".

So: Fred, if you're reading this... Your shipping is tooo much $$$$ for us Canucks...
  • Bill0021
    Bill0021 Posts: 23
    Options
    Yeh, shipping, brokerage fees is a bummer, but it is what it is.

What burns my goat is that BGE Owners with problem gaskets in the US seem to get taken care of properly which is a good thing, but the product is not supported north of the border. The best one was my retailer telling me that the egg should never get over 500 degrees and that is why the gasket disintegrated. He would gladly order me a new one for full retail and I would have to wait a couple of weeks as they were BO'd. I am so not impressed. I ordered a felt off of ebay which cost almost $50.00 with shipping, but I got it faster.

I can not for the life of me figure out why BGE has not fixed this problem. There are so many threads and homemade fixes on it. There are utube videos on changing the gaskets. Guys it is obvious you have a problem here.

The competition seems to be heating up in this category. One that is driven by word of mouth more then anything else. A couple of people have bought BGE's because of my testimonials. I still claim that I love it, but......maybe should should check out some other brands because of this gasket problem. It can not be that tough to fix? A minor problem that is costing more then the company is aware of, that is for sure.

Sorry about the sour grapes folks. Just venting.

If anyone has tried silicone, please post. Until then, I will order from Fred's, thanks for the info. That will bring my cost of replacing defective gaskets to just over $90.00 in less then one year, and it was not used for months this winter. Kinda silly.