Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Rub Recipe

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been intending to come up with a rub recipe that is more on the savory side for beef and lamb, really red meats. My first thought was for a rub that would not have all the paprika, chilli powder or other red ingredients, something that might set it aside from the other rubs.
Chris in Gwinnett the other day posted a request for a Paprika Free Rub where in my reply I picked apart my recipe for my standard rub as a possible suggestion.
This evening I decided to give it a shot and came up with this recipe;

1 T fine Sea salt
1 C Drk. Brown Sugar
2 T Dry Mustard
1/4 C Cumin
2 T Blk. Pepper
2 T Garlic powder
1 T Onion powder
1 t Cayenne pepper
1 T Nutmeg
1 T Cinnamon
2 T Thyme
1 T Oregano

T = Tablespoon, t = teaspoon
Rub2.jpg
I had been to Sam's Club Friday and had picked up a package of 3 beautiful rib eye steaks, 1.5 pounds each. I don't recall ever having rib eye steak before but have seen many of them here at the forum. I wrapped 2 for the freezer and held one out for dinner.
I applied a generous 2 heaping teaspoons of the new rub to each side and spread it out for an even coating and let it sit while I got my fire ready. In the time it took me to get the fire ready the salt in the rub had drawn just enough juice from the steak so the rub was well adhered to it. For scale the knife blade is 4" long.
Rib_I_Rub2A.jpg
I got a good fire going and added a generous amount of hickory for smoke. I don't have a lot of practice with thick steaks so I gave the beast 4 minutes a side at about 450º. Internal was a little low, about 95º, so it went back for 2 minutes more per side. Internal as now up to about 125º and I pulled it and let it rest while I put grilling tools and stuff away. After about 10 minutes to rest it was a nice medium, still running with beautiful red juices.
Rib_I_Rub2B.jpg
I was not sure how the sugar and the herbs were going to hold up to the heat, either could burn and I don't have a lot of experience at this. Yet.
Well, this is far and away the best steak I have cooked to date. The rub is mild and herbs survived the heat and gave me the hint of savory I was looking for. The sugar drops into the background for the most part but I think helped with the nice char at these temps. The juices that collected in my plate were like a dark red wine in color and had fantastic flavor.
This was one of the most tender, succulent, juicy steaks I have had in a long, long time. I love salt so other then a little salt at the table this steak didn't need anything!

smiley_drool.gifsmiley_drool.gifsmiley_drool.gif

Gator

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Picked me up a lamb stake yesterday. Perfect timing. Will try it with your rub if I got it all. Thanks. ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hi JLOCKHART

I'm in hopes with Easter just around the corner to find some good prices on lamb and try it myself. This rub is mild, if needed I wouldn't hesitate to use a light coating of oil to help it adhere to the meat. The great thing about homemade rubs is experimenting, they can always be tailored to your tastes. I would enjoy hearing thoughts/results if you try it.

Gator
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hey, I like your idea, and I have all the ingredients, so I'm makin it!!!
    Thanks,
    Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey Faith,

I just had the second half of that steak for dinner and it was still wonderful. The rub makes a nice seasoning and is mild enough not to dominate. I got to thinking, Thyme is great with turkey . . . there might have to be a turkey breast in my future as well as a piece of lamb.
    I would love to hear your thoughts on the rub, so far I like it a lot but then I live alone and that is but one opinion.

Gator