Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chorizo?

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are there different styles of Chorizo? On the cooking shows it looks like it cooks up into little chunks like sausage. The only stuff I can find is mush and grease when it is cooked. I am cooking Pwise's refried bean recipe, with shrimp burritos.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    spanish, mexican, portugese.

don't make the mistake of pronouncing it "chorizo" to the portugese folks or by saying "shorees" to the spanish or mexican.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I use Spanish the firm chorizo that slices for paellas. The Mexican is like a Jimmy Dean sausage roll and I take the skin off and cook and then degrease and mix with scrambles eggs or tacos.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    There are plenty of Chorizo styles....some more spicy...some hotter...some greasier...even turkey chorizo....you try them & choose. PWise should be back on the forum tomorrow....perhaps you could ask him then.
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Hey there:

I've read all the posts and well, I'm no chorizo expert, but I agree with all of them. There are basically spanish, portuguese, and mexican, and each has different varieties... I normally use the mexican because it turns out precisely like cookes sausage (mush and fat) and that is easy to blend into the beans... If you use spanish chorizo (hard and easier to slice) you wouldnt't be able to blend it as evenly unless you have a blendtec or vitamix...

Like Beli says: use whichever you like the best on its own...

hope this helps
    cheers!