Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to show a picky eater that the Egg is good

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, need some help. Father In Law coming in town today. He'll eat my burgers from the grill, but the grill is out of commission because the deck is getting widened, so the gasser is in the kitchen. The Egg has been living in the garage until the deck is rebuilt, so all outdoor cooks are on the Egg. What burger cooking tips (temp, rig setups, etc.) do y'all have to make the perfect burger for my picky father in law. Thanks in advance.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    500, not sure what you mean by picky, do you mean in the sense that he is not adventuresome??? Anyway, I would grind up some good meat & maybe do them indirect at 350 with some nice smoking wood, it will give the burgers a nice even finish with a great flavor. If you can sneak in some extra stuff, the more the merrier. I did these last week, maybe try something like this:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=615883&catid=1
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I cook all my burgers at 400 direct and no wood just the lump.
    I would do as you have in the past with the gasser and you should be fine. The egg will give them a lite smoke flavor and they should be nice and juicy.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Marc those look very good.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Options
    Zippy, exactly yes, not adventuresome. Likes simple foods, cooked the way he likes them. Only burgers he'll eat are thin ones.

Jupiter, the way you cook sounds like that might be the way to go with him. No smoke, 400*. Do you set up normal direct or lowered?

Marc, yours look great, but that will have to be a cook with the wife only.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    From what you'v written, it seems your father-in-law likes rather bland durgers. That rules out what I would usually do, which is to mix some DP Cowlick into the meat, or some squirts of Wostershire sauce. before making patties. Maybe do a few with spices pre-mixed, and see if he likes a few bites, along with plain.

For thin burgers, I'd go with a cooler dome, about 350. I always cook direct, on a raised grill. I try to time it so I only do one turn, and so keep the dome closed as much as possible. Will flip a second time if adding cheese.

As a BTW, if you ever have the opportunity, pick up a burger press. O thought it was sort of silly, but got one in advance of cooking for a party. Not only did the press save lots of time, but the uniform thickness made all cook much more evenly.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I have the adjustiable rig and almost always have in so It's raised grid at 400.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Options
    Thanks for the advice. The cook went great also my first burgers Egged; moist and juicy that way. Converted the wife too. Before she had said burgers and steaks on the gasser, everything else on the Egg. Burger are now on the Egg.
    Member since 2009