Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 pound chicken times??

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy. Grabbed a chicken on sale today. Just a 4 pounder i figured I would slap on humpty for dinner. Not sure how it will work, but I made up a marinade with sesame and olive oil, brandy, yoshida gourmet sauce, chopped scallions, some oyster sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and honey. Loosened up the skin, and dumped the marinade all under the skin, and around the chicken in a big ziplock. I figure it'll marinade for 4 or 5 hours anyway. I think I will cook this one in a v-rack/drip pan combo on a couple firebricks. Thinking of going with 375 dome temp.[p]Should I expect about 2 hours for a 4 pounder??[p]Thanks....been a while since I cooked a whole bird.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]To hell with the bird NB, just warm up that marinade and eat it, its a meal in and of itself. Looks GREAT.[p]Been awhile on a bird for me also, my guess would be about 20-30 a pound at 375 but don't quote me on that.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy, Me thinks at 375 your bird will cackle in one hour and 20 minutes..!! C~W[p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    C~W,
    did you say cackle or crackle????

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dr Chicken, cackle comes before Crackle :-) If he leaves it in much longer..the later will pervail...IMHO anyway! Snow bombs falling outside..Soup tonight..no mood for this canadian dandruff coming down.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    C~W,
    Better you than me! We are experiencing 40 to 50 mph winds! Not to bad really, since they've been predicting them for 3 days now! Are your fruit trees begining to bloom out? If so, this will finish them off, like it has our peaches and apricots! 23 degrees Tuesday morning! Brrrrrrrr![p]Dr. C[p]p.s.: are you saying the 'cackle' goes over the fence before the 'crackle'?

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Don't tell me ya remember that one! Defeat of deduct goes over defense before detail??
    That is a real oldie..! Only fruit tree here is a lonely Crab-apple thats just starting to leaf out..Maples also are leafing but barely. Ground is whitening, and rooftops are already covered. Typical April M-nature offering.
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Me & my 'thumbs'! I wiped ever thin' out and had to go back to square "1"!
    Yep! I thought I'd get ya there! Wrong again, Ain't I?[p]Mother nature has a saying! "If ya don't like the weather here! Wait 10 minutes!"[p]Dave

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Hmm...lets see here...its 68 deg...sunny...damn...I must be in good ole California!!!
    Bob

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    C~W,
    Thanks Fred. I think I might try this little guy on Junior. Meanwhile I can prepare Mr. Big for the overnight butt cook.
    Purshiate the info. I'll expect 80 minutes![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ