Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks?

Options
The Barbequetioner
The Barbequetioner Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,
hope you guys are having as kick ass of a weekend as myself. Did up some homemade pizzas last night, amazing. Tonight I have a question. Right now I have some jalapeno cheese bread on the grill and after gonna throw on some 1 1/2" thick ribeyes. First time doing steaks looking learn. Sear at what temp. Roast for how long?

Comments

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Sear at 600+ for 2 minutes per side and remove. Lower temp to 400ish. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side or until "done" according to you taste.

Hope you love it!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Heres a couple I've done lately. A couple minutes per side is enough for me on 1.5 inches. As the other post stated after the 600 sear just raise em up or just snuff the egg completely out and let em set till they reach your doneness. Im a rare to med rare guy. Happy Egging!
    IMG_5231.jpg
    IMG_5246.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    Take the steak out of the fridge before lighting the egg, you do not want to put cold meat on the grill. Sear steak for 1.5 to 2 min per side then remove from egg. Shut down vents and wait for egg to stabilize at about 400. Put steak back on and roast until desired doneness. I tend to pull mine off between 125 and 130 internal. Be sure to let the steak rest a little after the cook. Good luck.
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    i have tryed all the ways..

i go easy.
    - let the steaks get to room temp
    - light seasonings while you wait
    - get a hot egg say 600deg
    - put the steaks on for 2min
    - flip the steaks for 2min
    - flip the steaks and cut all air off to the grill
    - let them bake until done 2-3 min more total
    - Be carefull and burp the egg when you open the last time or you will loose all hair on your arm!
    - put the steaks on a plate with a couple of pads of butter. lightly tent the steaks but dont wrap with foil.
    - let rest 5 min and you are good to go!

They will be GREAT!