Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

want to try a butt this weekend

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanna try my first butt this weekend. Are there any write-ups out there? I need advice on everything :)

where to buy, what to look for
building the fire
etc..

I've been reading a lot on here and that's whats gotten me eggcited about trying to make one, but I'm looking for some easy to follow instructions. I've seen and followed some for briskets, so I'm sure someone has one.

thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    www.nakedwhiz.com

look for Elder Ward's recipe...lots of good information...

buy a bone in bost butt 6-8#'s...plan on 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per pound at 250 degrees until the meat reaches internal of 192 degrees...no peaking once you put the meat on...once it is done wrap it in HD aluminum foil and wrap it in a towel and put in an ice chest for at least 1 hour...pull & eat...mmmmmmm good
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    make sure to print out all four sections. elderwards write up has everything down to the sauces and sides. i would only change one thing with his cook, you would want to cook at 250 dome inderect for your first attempt. doesnt seem to make any difference with the final outcome, but it makes holding temps all the easier.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=114

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=121
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As above, Elder Ward's instructions are a great way to start.

Don't be tempted, as happened to me, to go with a smaller butt portion, hoping to cook a little faster. My experience with 4 lb. and under is that they tend to dry out before the connective tissue breaks down, so the final result is rather dry. 6 lb has been the minimum for good results for me.

If you happen to find a picnic, the other half of the shoulder portion, they work well, too. They have been done faster than butts in my experience, and perhaps a tiny bit more flavorful

Good luck, if going over nite, check temps every 4 hours or so.