Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wind question

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My house overlooks a lake. The deck overlooking the lake (and right off the kitchen) is the logical, most conventient, and most comfortable place to cook outside. However, there is almost always a strong breeze coming off the lake (can be quite strong at times). With my old charcoal grill I could never control the temperature and got very frustrated. I eventually moved it to the other side of the house using the house as a wind block. That worked much better. It is not nearly as convenient (a full flight of stairs from the main floor) and in the summer the breeze sure would be nice while I am tending the fire.

When I got my Egg (now two) I placed it the same wind protected spot away from the lake. I assumed that having a lot of wind would make it harder to control temp. Now, I am questioning that. If the bottom vent is facing away from the wind does the wind make much difference?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It will be a bit different than "no wind" but it will still lock in on your temp. Then if you need heat and you have a nest, just spin and you got heat. I've heard of some using a small fan outside the "air door".
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I don't live on a lake, but my egg is on the side of the house that gets the wind. If it's windy and gusting, it puffs out the bottom vent sometimes right after I light it. But, once it gets going and the temp is stabilized, I don't have any trouble holding the temp steady where I want it.
    Brian in PA
  • skihorn
    Options
    I had thought about the convenience of simply spinning it toward the wind when I want to increase the temp quickly. That would be convenient.

I guess my biggest concern is when the wind is changing and I am not necessarily tending it. For example on an overnight cook it is very common for the wind to be strong in the evening and then die down to nothing by morning. If I had the vents set assuming a high wind would the fire go out when the wind died? If it makes little difference so long as the vent is facing away from the wind, then I guess I would be okay. However, if the wind speed changing significantly will affect where I want my vents set I should just leave well enough alone and stay wind protected.

Freddie
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Hey Freddie. We have a wind tunnel between our houses and I just roll mine out from under the patio cover and go for it. It is perpedicular to the wind so the wind is not directly into the lower vent. Also, I have the island our dealer makes so that helps. But we have constant wind. Just turn the egg so the wind is either to the side or back of your egg and try that.
  • skihorn
    Options
    That is good to know. Have you noticed any need to adjust if the wind suddenly dies down or picks up?

Freddie
  • TXTriker
    Options
    No, as long as the wind is not directly into the lower vent, it doesn't make much difference. If you're trying to use your wind as a fan, than yes. I certainly wouldn't try to count on our wind as a fan. Just move the egg so the wind is not a factor and you should be okay.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks!

Ray, I always chuckle a little when we are on the same thread. I can't help but think others are thinking "I've never heard of League City and here are two guys from there on the same short thread."

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Maybe they will look us up on a map sometime, huh?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Build a table and enclose it on all three sides. Set your temperature and place a brick in front of the bottom vent to block any air flow in.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Get yourself a BBQ Guru and don't worry about the wind. You will be glad you did. I don't think I could cook with out mine. I'm thinking about getting another one just to have a back up. Best thing since butter!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hey Freddie,
    I fired up the mini last night amid very strong winds and storms. I was worried about it staying lit since the wind was blowing so hard, so I just closed the dome alot sooner than usual and left the top and bottom wide open. I kept checking it and it came right up to temperature, no problem. I then cooked my pizza without any problem with the dome temperature. Most items that I cook don't require the bottom vent to be open more than 1/2 inch and that is the case with the pizza.

While it is not fun standing out in high winds trying to cook something, I think the egg is certainly capable of maintaining your temperature without being overly influenced by the wind, unless you like to cook with the bottom vent open wide.

Faith
    Tampa
    Egger for 13 years and counting!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hey Freddie,
    I fired up the mini last night amid very strong winds and storms. I was worried about it staying lit since the wind was blowing so hard, so I just closed the dome alot sooner than usual and left the top and bottom wide open. I kept checking it and it came right up to temperature, no problem. I then cooked my pizza without any problem with the dome temperature. Most items that I cook don't require the bottom vent to be open more than 1/2 inch and that is the case with the pizza.

While it is not fun standing out in high winds trying to cook something, I think the egg is certainly capable of maintaining your temperature without being overly influenced by the wind, unless you like to cook with the bottom vent open wide.

Faith
    Tampa
    Egger for 13 years and counting!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i've never had a wind issue.

much of the issue with a metal grill is simply heat loss radiating off the metal lid. it wasn't really ever messing with your draft, it was probably cooling the lid down more than anything, and the fire needs to burn more to compensate.

i've set the vents for 250 and slept through a blizzard. the egg doesn't watch the weather man, thankfully. has no idea what the weather is.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. Sounds like it is a viable option.

Faith, actually I prefer to be in the wind. It is very hot 8 months out of the year around here and any breeze/wind is welcome.

Willy, dumb question - What is a BBQ guru?

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The BBQ Guru is an electronic temp control device.
    Very nice for long cooks.
    http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=49&idproduct=235
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas