Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help w/ Mini Gasket Install

Options
edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to replace the gasket on my mini for the first time. Last night the original (used 5 times) literally fell off.

When I lay out the new gasket on the dome I don't see how I can ever get it to lay flat. The circle is too small for the gasket to make the turns. Should I accept that it will be bunched up all around? How has anybody else done it?

P.S. The mini came with an extra gasket and a note stating that some of the originals will come undone. At least they acknowledged the problem.

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I have a med BGE and my second gasket fell off last night. I didn't install either but will on the third gasket. Looks like the warranty service team didn't take the backing off of the gasket prior to installing.

Any recommendations on solvents to use to cleab the lip prior to installing a new gasket?
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    If you are talking about the plastic like film on the back of the gasket, that is supposed to be there.

I usually clean the edge with light sandpaper then use rubbing alcohol. To be extra sure this time, I will spray on some 3M Super 77 adhesive before putting on the gasket.

Now, if I could only get this straight gasket to fit my round dome!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    A little bunching is okay. Is the new gasket the same width as the old? I put a nomex on the MINI but the gasket was made for the LGE. I had to rip it down to the proper width. After a few cooks it will lay flat and the wrinkles will go away. What ever you do, DO NOT STRETCH IT. If it has the adhesive on the back I wouldn't use any 3M 77. Just use the adhesive. I tried it with the adhesive and the adhesive let loose of the gasket. I payed hell trying to get the adhesive and the 77 off the egg. Finally did a high heat burn and put a few 3/8" nuts between the top and bottom. Literally cooked the adhesive off. Then I used the 77 with the same gasket, sans adhesive. Still going strong.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    My Mini's top gasket let loose on the first cook. I removed it and now cook with just the bottom gasket and it is working just fine.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    It's like you read my mind. My brand new mini lost its gasket last night. Just like my large, gasket just fell away. I need to email Bruce tomorrow about the nomex, and will have to investigate how to go about taking it apart. The cute little guy was already assembled when I got him, so I have no familiarity with the bands or the hinge. Need to check all that out. Thanks for the post.