Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cured some salmon today.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not bad for the first time. ;)
1 3/4 lb salmon filet.
salmon001.jpg

Cure was 1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar. 1/2 cup maple syrup. Will go with all brown sugar next time. 1 cup.
4 hours exactly then washed off.
salmon002.jpg

1 hour at 250 indirect with alder wood chips. Maybe a tad to long.
Finished salmon. NOT pictured was, I chilled the salmon in the fridge on a cooling rack. Flaked it off, toasted some bagels, added cream cheese, salmon and capers. Yummy.

salmon003.jpg

Now preparing for snow on Saturday night. :evil:

Mike

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    So I have a nice salmon steak in the freezer. You say just 1 cup brown sugar for the cure? 4 hours? I don't have alder but I have some persimmon from Jl. That work?
    Thanks for your feedback Mike.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    1/4-1/3 cup Kosher Salt and 1 cup brown sugar. That would be for about 2 lbs. Any apple or cherry wood?

Mike
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Might have apple, I'll have to dig. You know how the hoarding piles grow :laugh:
    So not persimmon?
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    No persimmon and mix the salt and brown sugar together before lightly rubbing in.

Mike
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thank you!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Oh, My Goodness! I knew that you were very special, but, can you please tell us what ailment that it had?

I see now that you could probably take this show on the road. I can see it now (heaven opens)...."CWMike's Miracle Elixir"....cures Salmon, incontinence, agraphobia, athlete's foot, and most communicable diseases (see label and consult your doctor if you experience.... rational thought, sympathy for your fellow man, an overriding desire to turn the other cheek, pay your bills on time, or an erection lasting over 8 hours).

I wish you the best, My Friend. I'm also available as a PR rep. Call me,...we'll do lunch.

LR
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    It won't cure the desire to fry onion rings on the egg. :blush:
    Have a good one Buddy Lawn.

Mike
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    all brown sugar instead of the brown sugar/syrup mix or just brown sugar alone w/no salt? I tried curing salmon once & it turned out miserably, but I can't remember how I did it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    1/4- 1/3 cup Kosher salt. Mixed with 1 cup brown sugar then lightly rub salmon. (approx 2 lb. filet) Put in fridge for 4 hours exactly, rinse off and smoke. This was my first attempt and I thought it was pretty god.
    Let us know if you try it.

Mike
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    i have been wanting to cure some salmon but been too worried about the salt over powering the fish. So was it salty,sweet.....and for the cure you said you would do 1 cup of brown sugar,1/2 cup maple syrup and no salt?
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I went back & looked at my notes, I added a step of soaking the salmon in rum for 30 minutes before I put the salt/sugar combination on, made the fish real hard, like plastic, & tasted pretty bad too; so round two I'll lose the rum & just go with the rub
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I'm also looking at brining some.
    Hope it turns out well.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    You have to use salt. 1/4-1/3 cup Kosher Salt mixed with 1 cup brown sugar. Then lightly rub. Place in fridge for 4 hours exactly, rinse and smoke.
    Yes it did turn out salty. I used 1/2 cup so I cut it back. Also, I tasted it right off the egg. After it cooled in the fridge, a lot of saltiness went away. Then don't forget the toasted bagels, cream cheese and Capers.

Mike
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Life on the edge....just like you taught me.
    ring1.jpg
  • NWester
    NWester Posts: 22
    Options
    Looks Great! Real close to how I do it.

I use -
    1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar,
    1/2 cup coarse salt
    and some black pepper
    two pounds of salmon
    Alder for smoke

I'll let it go up to 90 minutes sometimes, so it can get a little dry, but still mighty tasty. Some of the Yukon Salmon runs have more fat/oil so they don't dry out as much. I found some Keta on sale last month (a Yukon run Chum) and it came out great and stayed moist.