Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant recipes

PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Came across two 2lbs pheasants... Any suggestions on cooking them?

cheers

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    One that has kinda been a go-to recipe for me.

-Dice up a Jalapeno pepper (I take out the seeds first)
    -mix diced pepper with some cream cheese
    -pound the (boneless)breast out a bit
    -put a small scoop of the cream cheese mix on the breast
    -fold the breast over and wrap in bacon
    -use a toothpick or two to keep the bacon attached
    -cook either indirect or direct at 350 or so.
    When the bacon is done the bird is also done. I always do it direct so the bacon gets crispy.

Lookout for pellets
    Adam
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    That sounds great, thanks a lot! do you have a method for doing the bird whole?

cheers!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Not really. I do a Pheasant Neuberg that is more of a stew or soup. You can cook the whole thing and then shred it off the bone. We have found that the legs are only worth cooking if you plan to take the meat from the bone and avoid all the tendons and stuff. Pheasants are really good runners and that makes for some tough meat.
    I just had all my fellow birdhunters try some Pheasant breast simply grilled and seasoned with "Butt Rub" and "Carolina Seasoning Mix". They said "you can't grill those, they'll dry out man."
    Lets just say nothing was dry and they couldn't believe what had just taken place.

I Just love the Butt Rub (buttrub.com)
  • I’ve grilled breasts with good results! A little oil rub with the spices is good to help keep them moist.
    But as stated “they are runners” and the leg meat seems to needs a good stewing. I HAVE not had success with doing a whole bird open on a grill, but have thought that tenting (especially with the Egg) would help keep the moisture….Which has been my problem.
    As for your question regarding a whole bird: I have done them in a covered casserole, stuffed with fruit. Lemon, lime, apple and / or any combination with some fresh Thyme. Don’t forget a bit of salt and fresh pepper too!
    They are also VERY good in the casserole with a cream sauce. Make your own favorite sauce, or add sautéed veggies (onion, garlic, celery, carrots…) to a can or two of “Cream of …Soup”, smother and bake at 300F. until done.
    Granted the “whole bird thing” in these scenarios are in a casserole and wouldn’t directly benefit from being on an Egg. But Egg or oven….They are tasty! YUM!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is another method.

Buena Suerte.
    Pheasant, Smoked #1

INGREDIENTS:
    3 2 Lbs Pheasants, quartered
    2 Tbs whiskey or water
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp sugar
    apple barbecue sauce, (recipe follows)
    Apple BBQ Sauce
    1 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
    2 Tbs cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp ground cloves

Procedure:
    1 Cut pheasant legs through the joints to separate drumsticks from thighs. Set drumsticks aside; bone and skin thighs and breasts. Refrigerate remaining pheasant pieces and bones for another use.
    2 Prepare smoker using fuel of your choice with mild flavor wood chips/chunks. Arrange boned pheasant thighs and breasts and the drumsticks on rack in smoker or roasting pan. Brush with whiskey. Sprinkle with salt and sugar.
    3 Smoke pheasant until done, 170F in deepest part of breast meat. When measuring temperature, do not hit the bone with the thermometer probe tip. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Meat will be dry.
    4 Serve with Apple Barbecue Sauce, if desired.
    APPLE BARBEQUE SAUCE:
    1 In a heavy 1-quart saucepan, combine. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.

Servings: 6

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Country Living Holidays

Source: BBQ List, Rhurley, 1997/12/02