Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Cabbage question

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am going to stuff one this afternoon and have read the recepies that i have.. i was originally going to follow YB's directions but after reading lawn ranger's i may combine the two and see what happens...

my question is neither one of them say how to set up the egg i am thinking indirect 350 for an hour and add butter cover in foil and back on for another two hours... anybody have any insight??

also any coring help would be appreciated ;)

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I have not made stuffed cabbage leaves on the egg but do make them using a cast iron pot on the stove top and cook slow for 60 to 90 minutes. I am not sure when you say stuffed cabbage if it is the leaves or the head. I don't see why you can't do them in a cast iron pot at 350 on the egg for 90 minutes or so.
    E
  • BENTE
    Options
    it is the whole head....

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Terry this is how I do them.They are in a 9" pie pan on a raised grid....Good luck.

Smoked Stuffed Cabbage

l large head of cabbage
    1/2 apple, chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    3/4 lb of your favorite ground sausage
    4 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
    1 tsp fresh Basil
    1 tsp fresh Rosemary
    salt & pepper to taste

Core cabbage, making a hole about the size of your fist. Brown sausage with other
    ingredients. Stuff cabbage with
    sausage mixture.
    Wrap cabbage in foil, leaving top open. Place on Egg - cook at 300 degrees for 1
    hour. Place 2 pats of butter on top
    of sausage stuffing and close foil, completely covering cabbage. Cook for another 2
    hours. Remove cabbage from
    foil, quarter & serve.

What a treat! Our sides included fried squash and baked red potatoes with cheese
    & garlic topping.

Larry
  • BENTE
    Options
    they are all the same picture :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    Options
    What picture?LOL
  • YB
    Options
    Lets try this...I have no clue where those pictures came from.

Larry

dae7.jpg
    8e84.jpg
    d0d7.jpg
    d6ed.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    ive just gone indirect, no foil, i dont like the cabbage to get too soft
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=117828&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks larry i will take photos and let you know how it turns out!!! ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks fishlessman i am thinking about indirect but with the foil i will take photos and let ya'll know how it turns out ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Here's Paula Dean's Barbecued Cabbage recipe. She parboils the cabbage first, then smears with bacon grease! Sounds like my kind of plan!

Slick

Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 1 hr 40 min Level:
    Intermediate Serves:
    4 servings Ingredients
    5 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 medium green cabbage
    1/4 cup barbecue sauce
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
    Directions
    Parboil cabbage for 20 to 30 minutes.

Add bacon and onion to skillet and cook until just beginning to brown but remains soft; about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain bacon and onion in a strainer over a bowl and reserve the drippings.

Cut the core out of the cabbage about 3-inches down towards the center and in a circle about 3-inches in diameter. Sprinkle and rub the House Seasoning onto cabbage. With a pastry brush, brush the reserved bacon drippings all over cabbage. Set aside.

Add barbecue sauce to the bowl with the bacon and onions. Mix together. Fill cabbage with this mixture.

Crumble a piece of aluminum foil into a ring about 3-inches in diameter. Place ring on top of grill and set cabbage on top.

Allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Quarter cabbage with a knife when ready to serve.

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
  • BENTE
    Options
    ooks like something to try.... next time tho... thanks!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    i cook mine direct on a raised grill. cook at 325 for a few hours or until cabbage is soft. i use lawranger recipe but i added rice to it.foil wrap acts as barrier

Picture386.jpg
    Picture384.jpg
    Picture385.jpg
  • BENTE
    Options
    i may need to try that next if everybody likes this one!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hey Terry, We sure missed you this weekend. Coring is easy. Cut around the core as if you are cutting a cone into the cabbage. After you remove the core, then use a heavy metal spoon(silverware, or a grapefruit spoon) And shave away from the inside out. I like to hollow the inside out larger than the hole. I use the recipe with bacon in the sausage. It adds so much flavor.
  • BENTE
    Options
    that is eggzactly what i ended up doing except for the bacon but i have some stuffing left over so if leah likes it i will do another with trhe same filling i will just add bacon and rice per mikeb6109's suggestion ;)

sorry i missed it i have started planting the seed for waldorf tho ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb