Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple salmon and crabcakes (seafood fest)

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
salmon.jpg
<p />Tonight I did salmon with a maple butter glaze to try and mimic Nature Boy's from Waldorf (which unfortunately I didn't get to go to). Just rubbed the salmon with Old-bay and fresh dill, put on the egg for about 12 minutes a side at 350 and then brushed with maple syrup with butter melted into it and grilled for another 2 minutes. That was the star of the platter.
The crab cake was the only one that held together even a little bit. I did those like on the old-bay can (2 teaspoons old bay, 2 tablespoons mayo, bread crumbs, 1 egg, and a pound of crab). Put them on a grill wok with holes in it for 15 minutes with a flip in the middle of that. The problem was that they fell apart when flipping. Tasted good though.
The ravioli was snow crab ravioli with dill from a grocery store up here called Trader Joe's. If you have one near you, I highly recommend it.
--Aron

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Aron,[p]Looks mighty good to me!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Aron,
    ok, so i'm the one who said use the grill wok and flip once. . .didn't work to well huh??.. .how do you think they'd have been done, if you just let them cook w/out the flip?. .. also, next time add a tablespoon of dijon mustard.. .i think you'll like that as well. . .the crab cake sure looks good though. ...did you use lump or special?. .. and i'll have to try those ravioli. . .they sound great. . .[p]btw. .. next time you do the big seafood feast, try some mussels on the egg, i did them and they were great. ..

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]It might have worked ok without the flip. One thing I'd definitely do though is to grease the wok better (they kind of stuck, making it hard to flip), and cook longer before flipping. Look down at a post by rum runner from about 2 days ago when I first asked for a crab cake recipe. He did them in a cast iron skillet with oil in his egg. I'm sure that'd work (although I don't have a skillet yet).
    As for the crab meat I used--it was just plain crab meat from a can. Definitely not lump meat, unfortunately, but it was what I had around the house.
    --Aron
    ps--what's your mussel recipe?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Aron,
    gotcha on the wok. ..i like this concept though . . .you, and rum-runner, are correct about the skillet, but i prefer broiled to fried crabcakes, so when i do them, i think i'll try the well oiled wok, w/ no flip (unless i really think they are holding together). . .[p]i posted about mussels a couple of weeks back. . .basically, took a bag of maine mussels, steamed them on the stove in white wine, just long enough to get them to open, (have you done mussels before?. . .first you make sure they don't open when you start, then make sure they are open when cooked). .anyway, steam in the white wine till open (no more than 4-5 minutes. . .dump them in a metal colandar, make sure you reserve the liquid. .. .i then took the colander full of mussels and put it high in the egg dome(platesetter on top of the grid), at around 250 - 300, with just one chunk of hickory to smoke for about 15 minutes. .. while this was going on, i took the reserved liquid, strained it, then added a can of chopped tomatoes (we can't eat garlic around here on account of my wife is alergic but you should add some at this point). . .and cook that on the stove (let it come to a boil and reduce somewhat) while the mussels smoke. . .pull the mussels after about 15 minutes, remove half the shell, arrange on plate and spoon the tomatoe broth onto them. . .they were excellent, and the smoking did not dry them out at all. .. .