Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang:[p]How long & at what temp would you fix 1" thick Pork Chops with the platesetter? I have them rubbed with Jamacian Firewalk for this evening.[p] Thanks Dave

Comments

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Dave,
    You are likely to get several suggestions for your chops. Since you say that you will use a plate setter, I am guessing that you plan to smoke them as opposed to grilling. I use lots of Dizzy Dust, put them on as soon as the egg was smoking good with apple wood chunks and cook for about one hour at 250°. I did some of these last week and they turned out delicious. If yours are really lean, I suggest that you consider grilling instead of smoking. Get your egg up to 600°- 650° and sear for 3-4 minutes per side, then dwell for another 4-7 minutes depending upon how done you like them. I add a little mesquite during the dwell for some smoke flavor.

• Dave
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]I take it that what you mean by DWELL is to reduce the heat. Is this right ? & What temp do you keep it at?[p] Dave

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Dave,
    The easiest (for me) method of sear and dwell, is to sear at high temp (700 or so) for the desired length of time on each side and then close the vents and let the meat roast/dwell as the temperature falls from 700. The temp will quickly drop to 400-500 degrees. [p]The more involved method is TRex's in which you remove the meat from the egg after searing, let it sit out for 20 minutes, then return the meat to the egg to roast at 400 or so degrees. (During the 20 minutes you have shut down the vents to stabilize the egg in the 400 degree vicinity.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Dave
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks again Whiz.[p] Dave