Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket in my new egg

Options
bigjimtip
bigjimtip Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some help. I smoked a 12 pound brisket for 12 hours at 235 using Ray Lampe's recipe for competition brisket. It tasted great but it was disappointingly dry. I used lump charcoal and a fan on the damper to keep the lid closed the majority of the time. I had the meat thermometer set for 185 and let the meat rest in foil and newspaper for five hours.
Any suggestions for my second attempt?
Thanks
Jim

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That is a vey short time for a brisket at that temperature. I normally pull briskets closer to 195. I wonder if your thermo is off calibration and you needed more time on your brisket. If it is off by 10* you could easily have pulled it during the plateau.

To check the thermo, you can boil some water and see if it reads 212. My guess is you needed more time. Even though you let it rest, the low temp would not help you any.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    My thought also, not long enough for that much poundage.
    Calibrate.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • bigjimtip
    Options
    thanks, would that make it dry?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Was there much juice in the foil when you got done resting it. My riskets usually have a good bit and that gets poured back over the sliced meat.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I would first get rid of the fan and drop the temp down to 210. It should take 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 per pound to cook brisket. Cook fat side down. Your temp is right but as anyone that knows me, I am not a fan of foiling. You may also want to visit http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com and look around for his brisket cook and also my site. Good luck on the "Journey".

th_P1280001-1.jpg

I am not too good with silicon but Bubba does brisket!

P1290002.jpg

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bigjimtip
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I didnt use foil, i cooked it fat side down and used the fan because i stared it at 10pm and went to bed. the thermometer on the egg matched the thermometer from the fan atattched to the grill. i placed a tin pan under the meat to prevent flares and catch the juice.
    should i learn more before i go again?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Do you have any trouble doing flats due to you not using foil? That's if you ever do flats.

:laugh: Big Bubba, I can work with silicone but prefer natual. :whistle: :silly: :lol: :woohoo:

Hee,Hee,Heeeeeeeeeeeee
    Bordello
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    don't do flats..I like to wrestle with the beast!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP