Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Cleaning

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When daylight saving time ended in the Fall I put the small Egg in the shed, pulled the large Egg around beside the house so I could get to it easier in bad weather and stocked up on lump, all with the best of intentions to keep cooking through the cold months. In fact, I cooked on the Egg just once this Winter, and that was only two or three weeks ago.

Today daylight saving time is back. I got the small Egg back out of the shed and set up my warm months cooking area with the two Eggs and the gutted Weber gasser I keep my Egging tools in. I took all the parts out of the small Egg, vacuumed it out and gave the interior a quick wipe with a barely wet rag. (I'd removed the gasket just before I put it away and I didn't remember what precautions I'd taken with the dust all all.)

I went over to the Acme to see what looked good for the first cook of the season. They had some choice grade strip steaks that sure looked like prime to me, and they were just $6.99 a pound. I brought two of the home and let them sit out on the counter with a light sprinkle of Cow Lick rub while I fired up the small Egg and stabilized it at 550º with the cast iron grate down on the fire ring. (It's usually up on the GrateMates.)

I cooked the steaks for 5 minutes on the first side and 4 minutes on the second. The Thermapen said 130º so I pulled them off, tented them with foil, shut down the Egg and took them into the house where Cynthia was just taking the baked potatoes out of the toaster oven (60 minutes at 425º). The green beans in the steamer were just nicely done too, so we plated up and enjoyed the best dinner we've had in months. Life is good.

Comments