Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-made pizza bread/crust

Options
SGT BBQ
SGT BBQ Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had good results with using pre-made pizza breads/crust such as Boboli (spelling unknown) or any other pre-made crust. Thinking about making my first pizza but not confident enough to make own crust. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Several people have reported good results use Mama Mary's premade crusts.

You really should make your own - it is easy and very rewarding.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Publix has pizza dough in the bakery section. It needs to get to room temp before you try to mess with it, though.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    There's a grocery chain based in St Louis called Schnucks that has stores in IL - it appears Dekalb may be as close as they have one to you. They carry a mighty fine 12" thin pizza shell and I highly recommend them for taste and ease.
    IMG_0022.jpg

BTW I usually buy 3 packages at a time and freeze them.

Here's their store locater with Illinois on down the list.
    http://www.schnucks.com/stores/query.asp?zip=®ion=10
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Your local pizza place most likely will sell a dough. I started that way. That said pizza dough is easy to make if you have a kitchen aid.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I would recommend you go to a local pizza place (not a chain) and see if they will sell you their dough. It is usually fresh. I pay 3 dollars for a large, however someplaces charge as much as six dollars. I think that is to expensive.
  • SGT BBQ
    Options
    Thanks --Schnucks is a short ride away.
  • SGT BBQ
    Options
    I do have a kitchen aid mixer but never tried to make dough.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    Good! I'm sure if they don't presently carry them they can get them. BTW ours here in Peoria makes their own fresh pizzas which actually are pretty darn good - they beat the standard premade pizzas (Tombstone etc) hands down and they are only $4.99 for a loaded 12" pizza. Their crust is thick, but tastes good. Here the pizzeria operation is in full swing even with a dine in for $2.69 for 1/4 of a pizza which beats other restaurants in both quality and quantity. That's how I tried their different offerings! Then you can carry out - both already baked or ready to bake. BTW I still doctor their meat lovers pizza a bit with a piece of rich Havarti cheese and ripe olives.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Pleease do NOT use Boboli!!? Go to your favorite local market that has a 'live' bakery....ask them if they have fresh pizza dough. Or try your local pizza joints (the real ones that actually make their own dough...lol.. pizza hut does not qualify...lol)
    Good luck! If ever you want a decent dough recipe, believe it or not, there is one on the back of the Fleishmans yeast envelope. (but you really need a stand mixer, or you'll be cursing my name by the time you are done kneading! :woohoo: )
    Check with your locals! :laugh: Have fun!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL