Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential Prob with Prime Rib, help welcomed!

Options
EGC
EGC Posts: 448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking a 3 bone rib roast. It was frozen, but thawed for 24 hours in the refrigerator and left on the counter most of the day. I figured I was good to go with the cook.

However, 1 hour and 15 minutes into the cook, my probe at center mass is still reading "Lo". I'm cooking at 250 - 300 and plan on a reverse sear.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    Do you still have the directions that came with your thermometer which would give you an idea what temp "Lo" means? Are you cooking direct or indirect? Personally I think the meat is thawed, and I also don't think it's time to worry!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would re-seat the temp probe into the head unit.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    I agree that you need to read the directions that came with the probe. The probe may have burnt out. I have a maverick and when it reads LLL or HHH it means that the prove wire has shorted out either through moisture or heat damage. I have also kinked one that gave the same reading.
  • EGC
    Options
    OK. So I decided to slice the 3 rib roast in half. Probably a good call. There was a chunk in the middle that was still frozen. Not big, that's where the probe was. Seasoned the newly created ends and back on the egg at 300. I'm still planning on the reverse sear.

Pics to follow.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    good move!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGC
    Options
    The small, one bone piece, is resting in foil in a cooler with an internal temp of 124. The larger, 2 bone, piece has an internal temp of 98. Small piece was on for 2:40. I'm guessing large piece will go for about 3:20.