Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza experts needed

Options
Jazzman
Jazzman Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having made 4-5 pizzas in the egg with good results, I'm making another 2 today (one barbecue chicken, and one italian sausage, mushroon, pepper and onions). Always looking to get even better. Trying a slightly modified dough recipe - will post it if it turns out good (with pics, of course!)
Here's my question: I have made pizza with plate setter legs down, and pizza stone on top of BGE "feet". I have seen others use the raised grid or adjustable rig. For those who have tried different set-ups, which one do you prefer? Does using the rig to get the pizza higher up in the dome make for a better pie? We like our pies on the crispy side, with the top nicely browned. I know all 3 methods will work fine, but for you pizza fanatics, which method is preferred?

Also, has anyone tried doing 2 pizzas at the same time using the rig? I know it would be a bit of a hassle to switch them mid-cook, but it is possible? And is the result just as good? We're having company over, so it would be an advantage to have both pizzas done at the same time, but I won't sacrifice quality. I see another egg in my future, but for now, I'm a single egger!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I prefer the platesetter-feet-stone setup. Opinions really vary on this. I think it boils down to a personal preference of the dough crispness : browned cheese ratio.

I've never tried two pies at once. In reality the ten minutes to cook the second pie isn't that long to wait. I'd rather wait ten minutes than try to figure out the logistics of two pies at once.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Pizzas cook so quickly that it wouldn't be worth the hassle to try two at a time. -RP
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I prefer legs down with a raised grid.This uses a 13 inch grate and four inch bolts atached with pizza stone on top of that.I find that the cheese melts more to my liking.
    spatchcockchicken084-1.jpg
    spatchcockchicken085-1.jpg
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    I find that I usually get the crust done before the cheese is as brown as I like it, since I, too, like browned cheese. If your crust gets done first, a couple of minutes under the broiler works great to brown it up.

Slick
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    For me there is such a fine line between done and over done (burned) that trying to manage 2 pies at once would be problematic.