Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Cook - First time Grillin'

Options
Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried my new BGE out as a Grill for the first time. Just played it safe and did burgers. OMG. Quite possibly the best burgers I have ever tasted in my life!
Topped with Cheese and Pemeal Back Bacon. Unbelievable! (Sorry, no picture.)
On today's menu, its back to a smoker. 3 Whole Chickens in an Orange, Garlic and Brown Suger Brine with a Sweet Orange Baste. Dinner is at 5 p.m. Come on up!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Grand Oeuf Vert,

How hot did you do them?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Beamsville is a bit too far for current travel technology but if I could jump forward I would come. Even so, I would sure like to see the photos.

Spring "Beam Me Up Scotty" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Steve,
    I had the temp bouncing between 375 - 400. Also helped to burn off all the mesquite chips left over from last weekend. Using Apple/Cherry mix today but only a handful.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It is really easy to overdo the smoke in these things.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Hop on a plane to Buffalo. You'd make it. Will post a picture or two for you.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    No kidding. You should see the back side of my plate setter! I got some cleaning/burn off tips from Bill in Philly. I do a few more cooks then give this a go. Hey...The Wife and I are looking at Mid Egg Lantic on our May 24 long weekend. You even been to one of these eggfest things?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I've been to Eggtoberfest twice. I am going to Ocala in two weeks. I have't been to a smaller one but I hear they are great. Atlanta is great. A few of us have been talking about getting something together up here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Count me in! In fact my BGE Dealer thinks it would be a great idea. We got lots of places to host it here in Niagara. (Keeps it close to the border for the US Eggers.) Could hook up with a Winery or something. Although TO might also be good.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Not many guys in Toronto, at least that come on here. Brantford, London/St. Thomas area, Niagara Region and Ottawa seem to be the most densely populated. The winery idea might be the ticket.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    We should give it some thought. Maybe for 2010.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ask your dealer to check with the Grill Guys to see if they will offer any support. Could probably pull something together for August or September. MikeB6109 has the most comprehensive list of Canuck eggheads I think.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    GOV, where are you from? I will meet you at the Midegglantic Fest, it is the 15th & 16th however, Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    I'm up in Canada. On West end of Lake Ontario in Niagara Region. May 16,17,18 is what we call May two/four (of beer) weekend. (The holiday falls on the first Monday prior to May 24th. As that is a Sunday, thus..well I think you get it.) Also know as the official start of Summer. Good time for a road trip don't you think!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    very cool, we'll see you at Fred's, there is also a Pennsylvania Eggfest in October, this past year was my first fest, fun time, met some great people, will meet some more next time around :)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    Grand Oeuf Vert,

Sounds like you're breaking your egg in very nicely.

My question is, what's for lunch on Thursday? I will be in Buffalo for work!!! It will be a quick in and out though.

Glad you are enjoying you egg.

Ed
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    seems like that time again when us canadian's start thinking a canadian fest is long over due!! i have a good list of candian that are interested in a fest but i personally think it will be a big challenge!! but on the other side if we start out only as a egg gathering,then maybe we could build from there! if you guys are still interested i have the contacts all we need is a date and start inviting guys to meet in an area cook,drink and be merry!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    mike,

Are you still coming up this summer? Do you know dates yet?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    yes we are still planning to go up but have yet to decide on a date. as my wife says ...she is ready for any date!!