Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any suggestions for a butt bone?

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking 3 butts today and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for what to do with the bones? Soup? Stock? Greens? Someone once told me that smoked bones are overpowering when you simmer them with something. Any thoughts?
thanks
tim

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05966.jpg

They will work in beans, greens, soup or stock....but I prefer to smoke some hocks and add them too.

On the other hand, using the bones and some of that PP would be good too.

d02b78ed.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    My Dog loves them..

akela.jpg

There won't be anything left on that bone to matter.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Are smoked bones safe to give dogs? I know cooked rib and chicken bones are not good for them. Let me know
    thanks
  • don't listen to them. there's no smoke in those bones... they were in the meat, and the smoke was on the outside of the meat. using them in stock is good. you should maybe roast them so you can crack them open. bones themselves won't add flavor. it's the marrow you want, plus of course whatever bits of meat are on the bones still.

i try to do a poor job cleaning the bone from the easter ham, and make sure my dad takes it home for when he makes pea soup. but butt bones come out too clean