Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Store-Bought-Frozen Pizza---Yesss!

Options
Rib-Rob
Rib-Rob Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been holding off doing pizza on the BGE. Thanks to God, Bhudda, a following wind, and Ken Stone, I've done pretty well with butts, briksets (as my grandkids call them), and assorted tri-tips, filets, chops, etc. But never a pizza. Call it fear of heights, as I'm at 7300' elevation. Never thought the dough would do what dough be supposed to do. So, I had an urge. But that's quite another story. Let's get back to the pizza. I thought I would start "low-risk". How much more low-risk can you get than a "Red Baron, Pizzeria-Style, Supreme Pizza, Sausage, Green & Red Peppers, and Onions"? $3.50 at the store(and before I break my arm patting myself on the back, I note I neglected to detach the "Save $1.00 NOW!" coupon. Oh, well.
I was doing a jerky cook with some cherry wood at about 180°. I took the jerky off, set up the plate setter and a pizza stone and stabilized at 400°. Put the frozen guy on and took it off 30 minutes later. Crust was golden. Aroma and flavor delicious. Peeked through the hole to check on the progress throughout, but otherwise no tending. The lady who owns me was lavish in praise. I even thought it was good. Whooda thunk anyone could wax rhapsodic about a frozen pizza? Next time I'm going to try one of those California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken imitations. Got my confidence now.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    As we say at the baseball games when someone does something good, ATTABABY! My favorite is white pizza with chicken and red onion and lots of smoke. If you have a pizza joint that will sell you unbaked pies, that is a great option, too![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I recently had a lively discussion, I wouldn't call it an argument, about how to make the "sauce" for a white pizza.
    If you don't mind, I would like to hear how you go about making the white part of your chicken and onion pizza.
    Thanks!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Now listen very carefully. I'm only going to reveal this secret once. I get in my car, turn left out of the driveway, left onto Falls Church, right onto Volant and left into the shopping center. I park and go into Capital Creations Pizza, and order a large, unbaked, Carolina Pie. Then, I reverse the directions, pop that sucker into the egg for 7 minutes with lots of hickory smoke and hey presto! Sorry, I've never made a white pizza of my own in my life... ;-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Oy! Foiled again!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    to the best of my knowledge, there is no "sauce" for a traditional white pizza. . .you simply coat the crust with a huge dose of olive oil. .. cover generously with garlic, then lots of mozzerella and fontina cheeses . . .that's it. ..the flavor is all in the garlic and cheese. ..[p]after that, people start adding stuff like spinach and/or tomato slices or italian herbs, but they are all 'extra' to the original. . .

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Now this is going to be one of those walk-before-you-run things, I guess. I'll try your suggestion about the unbaked pies. We have a couple of those "Pappa" places near here. One of them sells pies unbaked. Once, I conquer that, I'll go for the real homemade dough. Anyway, the smoke flavor contributes a lot. Thanks, TNW.