Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook

Options
Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a used XL egg. I will pick it up Wednesday or Saturday. Any suggestions for a first cook this weekend?

I love ribs, but is it a mistake to start with ribs?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Not a mistake at all. Follow some of the advice in the menu section, on thirdeye's site or Naked Whiz site. Even some of the recipes you will get on the video (make sure you watch all of the video) and or instruction manual.

Chicken is good, as is just some simple cooks, brats, dogs.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Norcrossbash,
    Welcome to the forum/You might want to try a spatchcock chicken or a beer can chicken. It's a little quicker. If you want to do ribs, check out the website nakedwhiz.com for Car Wash Mike's rib recipe. That site has info on spatchcock chicken too. Just make sure you stabilize the temp in the egg before you start cooking. You have to let the lump burn awhile until it stops giving off that light-blue smoke and the ceramic warms up.
    I don't have the link, but if you do a post asking for info for newbie eggers, I know someone on the forum has a whole series of links with info for newbies.
    Good luck!
    Brian in PA
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I think my first cook was ribs but then I learnt thast you can almost anything on the Egg so my recommendation is do your favorite meal
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    NorcrossBash,

If it comes with a platesetter go for the ribs. Just get the egg stable at 250* for an hour or so with a chunk of your favorite wood. Use a rub and mustard if you want and lay the ribs on the grill. You can use the foil method if you want but I have always had great results on the XL by letting them go for 6 to 7 hours for spares.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    NorcrossBash wrote:
    I just purchased a used XL egg. I will pick it up Wednesday or Saturday. Any suggestions for a first cook this weekend?

I love ribs, but is it a mistake to start with ribs?

Welcome to the cult. :P

I started with a couple of whole chickens for my first cook. They are easy and look great when you post the pictures here for all of us to gaze at.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I don't get to pick up the egg until Saturday, so I'll have to wait to Sunday to try it out.

Saw another post that sealed the deal for me. Ribs it will be. Has anyone here drooled for 5 days in anticipation?

(Here's the post: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=602034&catid=1)

Richard