Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking Duck tonite

BuBaQlishus
BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for recipes....send em on in boys :woohoo:

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is one way I do them.

Duck, Whole, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lb. Duck, Whole
    *********MARINADE********
    6-8 Whole Garlic Cloves
    1/2 Medium Onion, prefer sweet, but they all work
    1/2 Cup Rosemary, Fresh, if available
    1 1/2-2 Cups Italian Salad Dressing
    Black pepper, Fresh Ground, to taste
    2-3 Lemons, Juice only
    1/2 Cup Teriyaki Sauce, Optional but great if you like the flavor
    ½ Tsp Chinese 5-Spice, Optional, use sparingly because it can overpower the duck!!

Directions:
    1 Place the ingredients in a blender and course puree, save some of the whole rosemary to sprinkle on the duck and fire. Pierce the duck with many tiny drain holes. This helps the marinade get in and the grease to get out. In a large container marinate 4-6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator
    2 I have a large BGE and I get it set up for an indirect with drip pan beneath with water, beer or apple juice, 2-3 cups. Get BGE to 325°-350°F. Place duck on a vertical rack and cook about 60-90 minutes. Have no clue about internal temperature Baste every 20 minutes or so with leftover marinade from drip pan. After 20 years of doing this in the oven and now BGE for last 4, I just kinda eyeball the bird like other poultry for doneness. CAREFUL not to dry out. Or you can slow cook 225F-250F for 4-5 hours indirect.
    3 If you have fresh rosemary the left over branches are great for smoke. For wood: I have used hickory, cherry, guava and a few others I have forgotten about. I do not like a lot of smoke because the duck can be over powered and it is an acquired flavor just to like duck for many people.
    *********SIDE DISHES********
    1 Fresh asparagus, Uncle Ben's Original Wild rice w/chopped water chestnuts, pine nuts, and diced scallions. Ronrico has a pecan flavored rice in most grocery stores that is to die for with this dish. Also a couple of sweet onions quartered in heavy aluminum foil with pat butter, little powdered chicken boullion, pepper, tightly wrapped and placed on BGE for 30-45 minutes until soft to touch, IT'S HOT.
    2 Nice bottle of your favorite wine.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1990/05/25

01/29/06--Cooked a 6.3# bird today, marinated overnight added 4oz soy sauce and 1/2 tsp 5 spice chinese seasoning and placed vertical indirect @300 for 1 1/2 hours, breast temp @140, removed indirect and set direct @ 300 for 30 min temp 140'ish. shut down BGE and left bird in 1/2 hour. Total time in BGE 2 1/2-2 3/4 hours. Placed tapioca starch of skin and it was good, but due to low temps did not get crispy, my choice. This internal temp 140-145 does not dry out the duck.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Here's a link to a list I recently posted for 4 suggestions for duck.

Enjoy:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=595900&catid=1
  • Bootleg
    Bootleg Posts: 49
    Sorry no photos! My best friend and I just cooked these yesterday for lunch but did not have a camera on hand. We both agreed that it was our favorite duck recipe.

Ingredients:

Duck breasts (We used Mottled Duck and Blue Wing Teal)
    Thick Cut Bacon
    Jalapeno Peppers
    Italian Dressing
    Cream Cheese (Block)
    Mozzarella Cheese (Block)

Instructions:

Depending on the size of duck breast you may want to filet, your choice. We filleted the Mottled and used whole BWT breast. Marinade duck breasts in dressing for 3 - 4 hours. Chop peppers to your taste, in other words remove seeds or keep them, your choice. Build ABT by laying breast on bacon, place slab of cream cheese on the duck and chopped peppers on cream cheese, then rap using the bacon and toothpicks. Place on BGE direct at 350 degrees. We cooked for 20-25 minutes flipping the ABT's 3 times. With 5 minutes remaining place slabs of Mozzarella on top of ABT's. Pull and enjoy. The duck were cooked medium rare to medium and tasted GREAT!

Bootleg
    Evans, GA
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Hears one I did. Even the wife liked it. Only problem was the potatoes. Would do as Little Chef suggest next time!
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=561660&catid=1
  • BuBaQlishus
    BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
    I loved hunting with my dad....great looking ducks, thanks :cheer: