Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt issue

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heres the situation:
Put butts on last night at 10:30.

Checked at 7:15 this morning dome temp at 250 degrees
One was 159 internal the other at 162 internal

Checked again at 9:30 and the fire was out. Dome temp was just a touch below 200 and the internal temps were right at 155 each.

I placed them in the oven at 350 until I could get the fire going again. They are back on now at 250 dome again.

My question is; are the butts still ok?

Comments

• MilitantSquatter
    Options
    They should be fine.. They did not fall back into the danger zone of 40-140 degrees.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    They should be fine. Fire was probably not totally out should have only needed to use a wiggle rod through the bootm vent to get the fire going again. That is what I usally do, plus open the vents to get more airflow until it gets back up to 250. I have never taken them off and placed in the oven.

How much lump did you put in to begin with?
  • even if they had, it would have been the internal temp (which is not the concern), for a period well under four hours, and in an environment that never dipped below 200.

those butts are so safe you could feed them to a newborn for crying out loud.